Need help identifying this spring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help identifying this spring

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
spiatt
1979 CJ7 

Need help identifying this spring

As I was working on wiring under my dash on my 79 CJ7 I found this big spring just hanging (looks like the end of it broke off) on the driver side. It is hanging from a bracket towards the top front of dash. I believe it is for the clutch pedal but I don't see anywhere where the other end is supposed to hook into. I will of course have to buy a new one (which I have no clue where to get one) but I was hoping that maybe someone had a picture or diagram that showed it's correct position.

I can see the brake spring which is there with an obvious hole where that spring goes. Just trying to find out where this spring is supposed to go.

Any help is appreciated.

spiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
spiatt
1979 CJ7 

Ok after looking through my tech manual I believe it is the overcenter spring and I can get a new one from Collins Bros. But my problem still is the location of where it hooks onto. In the images I have found it shows the spring and it's general location but no indication of where it actually is hooked.

Please, can anyone help?

Thanks.
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

This spring?

Second problem is stretching it into place.

I'll see if I can get a picture up tonight if no one else has already done so.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
spiatt
1979 CJ7 

Yes that looks like the one. From the diagram it looks like it attaches to the back of bracked on the underside of the clutch pedal? Ugh, this looks difficult to get back on! I'm assuming the only thing that goes through the firewall is the mechanics wire and that the spring location is still on the inside?

Thanks for your help and yea any additional pictures would def. help me :-)
Unread 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
spiatt
1979 CJ7 

I just recheck my tech manual and found a section for the Overcenter Spring. It says to replace it you disconnect the clutch push rod from the pedal and then the pedal stop. This seems much less invasive and not have to drill throught he firewall but are there issues with removing the push rod and stop? I am not mechanically inclined and really rely on reading and doing. So which way would be the easiest?
Unread 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I didn't even know about the pedal stop. Disconnecting the push rod is easy.
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Maybe this will help.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Thanks Mike, It's frigging cold outside and another 13" is on the way. I didn't realy want to go out tonight and snap pictures.
Unread 02-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
spiatt
1979 CJ7 

Thank you Mike! That really helps me. You guys are great :-)
Unread 02-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
HELMET
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I love this forum, ask and thou shall receive. Mike not only figured it out, but he had one nice and clean on his floor so he could take a picture of it and post it on here. This is the most helpful place ever.
HELMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Ha, I actually went to take a better picture of it now that its' powder coated and I noticed the spring is missing. I looked in the suspected places it might have been and couldn't find it. Judging by pictures taken I might not have gotten it back from the powder coater but Morris has it for $2.99 so I won't sweat it too much.

Glad I could be of help.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
spiatt
1979 CJ7 

Ok, actually I was wrong. The part of my tech manual I read was for the waggoner. So..... I did end up having to drill a hole through the firewall, used wire from a bale of hay and a 2x2. Worked perfectly!!!!

Thank you so much everyone! And thank you John for the diagram I would've never been able to do it without a visual! :-)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.