Need Help, I want to swap axles with something STRONG but not a fancy brand???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need Help, I want to swap axles with something STRONG but not a fancy brand????

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Joshyutah
1979 CJ7 

Need Help, I want to swap axles with something STRONG but not a fancy brand????

Hey Everyone,

I want to swap the stock Differentials w/ chrome alloy axles out of my CJ with something a whole lot stronger. I don't care too much about width as long as they are the same width and the same bolt pattern on the new axles. What all do you suggest and what does the axle come out of so I can pick them up? I don't want to keep is on the cheap and would like Disc brakes on the rear. Rear steer would be cool if anyone got a recommendation?

Backstory, my Jeep has hit a mile stone of more than 100K miles of just off-road and it looks like it. It has done good, and helped made some of the hardest trails around and keep trails open to the public. But I was pushing a very tired 4.2L that might of been all of 75hp when I fed the hamster crack. With the new Stroker I am building I am hoping to be closer to 250hp and 340lbs of torque. With the bigger and wider axles I might want to run larger tires such as 37's to 40's. I figure with the extra horse power and larger tire size I will break way more often. (The old front axle broke about 1 out of 10 trips.) So you can understand my worry.

I am going to build a custom 4 Link for the new axles so that isn't going to be a problem. I just need to know without breaking the bank, what are good axles for extreme rock crawling, street driving, and the pumpkins and rotation are bolt in (I don’t want to swap axle tubes or cut axles down)? And what did they come out of so I can hunt them down?

What about rear steering axles? Has anyone done that here and what do they recommend? What did they come out of?

I look forward to everyone’s advise.

Thank you for your help,
Josh

Joshyutah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
CSP

Chevy Dana 60 front axle, 14bolt full floater rear axle.

There's so much info on each of these on the web and lots of support for swaps/parts/gears/trusses/etc for each of them. You'd have to live under a rock to not find additional info about them.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Joshyutah
1979 CJ7 

Just got done reading a little in the 14 Bolt, sounds like a solid option. Is this what you are running?
Joshyutah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
bajaviking
1985 CJ7 

Dana 60 / 14 bolt from a Chevy

Sign up on Pirate4x4 and search, the have tons of good information on this. And I repeat, "SEARCH" before you start asking questions or they will eat you alive.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"
bajaviking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

buy an M1008, take the axles from it (D60/14bff) sell the rest of the vehicle for parts/scrap to fund the axle swap. The axles from the M1008 came with 4.56 gears and a rear detroit locker already installed. Best starting point you'll find.
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , cj , dana , differential , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.