Need help! How do i get this off! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help! How do i get this off!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
backwoods_cj8

Need help! How do i get this off!

I've got a 84 cj8. The keys broke off in ignition. I rented steering wheel and lock plate kit from a local parts store. Steering wheels off but this dude does not want to move. Need some help. Thx guys.

image.jpg  
backwoods_cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods_cj8 View Post
I've got a 84 cj8. The keys broke off in ignition. I rented steering wheel and lock plate kit from a local parts store. Steering wheels off but this dude does not want to move. Need some help. Thx guys.
With one of these. It will come off. Use a ratchet and start cranking!

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Fabricati...FYGqPAodtzEACQ
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Did you get the little lock ring off? I can't remember what order all of this goes in, but at some point there's a little lock ring that's holding everything on and you need a very small needle nosed pliers and a ton of patience to get it off.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
backwoods_cj8

I'm guessing this steering wheel is a grant. Makes since. Thx Scottymac
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Always2L8
1982 CJ8 

This maybe too much information

If that is part of an aftermarket steering wheel, then do as scottymac62 suggested.

After that, the stock column has a stamped metal "lock plate" that has a spring behind it that forces the lock plate into the lock ring. In order to get the lock ring off, you need to compress the spring to get access to the lock ring. For a stock column it is best to get a "steering lock plate tool" to compress the spring. You can do it without the tool but it is a major PIA to get the lock ring off and on.

Below is a stock steering column. #2 is the lock ring that goes around the steering shaft. #3 is the stamped metal lock plate. #4 is the spring that pushes the lock plate into the lock ring. Unfortunately this doesn't show the steering shaft.

And below that is a picture of the "steering lock plate tool". You can see the lock ring (#2) around the steering shaft (bottom of the larger splined area).

Good Luck
steering-column-.jpg   lockplateremover.jpg  
Always2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
backwoods_cj8

Thx always.. Good info much appreciated. Any other "special tools" that will make this go as smooth as possible.
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
DougE
1983 CJ7 

A gear puller will get that steering wheel hub off. $20 at Harbor Freight. Pick up their steering lock plate removal tool while you're there also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.