need help drive shaft dropped - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need help drive shaft dropped

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

need help drive shaft dropped

Ok I can use a little help, on the way to work this morning the back end of my drive shaft dropped out, from what I can see one of the brackets holding the
u-joint to the rear end came loose, didnt see any other damage, how hard will it be to replace the joint with a new one? and what tools and parts will I need?
Im not much of a machanic but can turna wench if I know what needs to be done.. Thanks for any help

Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

A book like the CJ Haynes manual is a good one for these kinds of fixes. It goes over the tools and methods.

I use an old 3/4" I think it is socket to pound out the old joint and tap the new one in. There are circle clips that have to be pried out, I use a special pair of pliers for this or two mini screwdrivers.

Penetrating oil can help a Lot!

When you get the new joint, I recommend you also get new straps and bolts, they are cheap and the old straps will likely be stretched too bad to hold any more.

I also prefer the joints that can be greased, the non grease ones fail far too fast due to water contamination on the swampy trails I run on so they are basic garbage.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

Thanks for the advise, lol forgot I have a Haynes manual will read it now
Unread 10-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

ok problem fixed,a friend from work fixed it on the spot, took him about 45 minutes and cost me $15 for the joint and breakfast for the 2 of us
Unread 10-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Southtowns27
1955 CJ5 

Nice. Check the bolts for tightness again in a few days. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the front driveshaft as well.
Southtowns27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.