need help with decision about buyn this jeep... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need help with decision about buyn this jeep...

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
jeepn-aint-easy

need help with decision about buyn this jeep...

Need some advice with possible purchase of a 1980 cj7 with rebuilt AMC 360. Some concerns I have is that the hard top need refinishing and some cracks filled. Top also needs a back window that had been removed because glass was broken which I could replace with plexiglass I think. Engine and body seem sound. The only gauge that works is the speedo. Not sure if others are broken or just not hooked up. Same thing with heater, he says if it was hooked up he believes it works. He bought jeep from his buddy to finish the work.

He wanted $4000 and I can buy it for $3400. Good paint. One more question is should the flywheel have a cover over it that keeps dust (dirt!) out? Need side pipes that He has not installed and doesn't have, but oh my it sounds great the way it is now lol!

jeepn-aint-easy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Jbwardfamily
1978 CJ5 

If you can get it for $3400 then I would jump on it. I would go ahead and allow yourself another $500 for the piddly stuff you will run into. I'd also go ahead and try to find a soft top while you rehab the hard top since you won't need that until around October. You can probably find a rough one for a few hundred. Or....being in SC, get a $50 bikini top and keep the doors on it. Bundle up until it gets warmer.
Jbwardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
jeepn-aint-easy

Thanks for the reply!

I think I am going to jump on the deal. The jeep was painted a year ago and the rebuilt 360 sounds amazing.
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

use "cat hair" (get it at the auto paint store) to fill in deep cracks in that roof, then you can bondo over what's left.. the flywheel has an inspection cover that fits over the lower side, yes you need that, keeps all the crap out of there..
Unread 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
jeepn-aint-easy

On second look...

Well I looked at this jeep again today, and it has had floor pans welded in to replace well rusted original ones. Also the tub has had many places that are rusted through and covered up with metal that has been welded into place. Looks like someone took bird shoot to the tube and covered it up with sheet metal welded in or riveted. The back of the tub where the backseat sits is a piece of sheet metal that has been pop riveted to the old tub.

Always pays to go back for that second look in the light, instead of a dark garage with dim lights! Darn it! Other than those minor things, just kidding, huge things the engine sounds good!

Pic attached of sample of rust...

Oh well the search continues...
img_20140127_130700.jpg

Unread 01-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i'm sure your search will be short. there are still plenty of them out there. might consider widening your search area. many times it has paid off driving an extra couple of hours (or more) to get what i wanted at a good price.
good luck to you.
Unread 01-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbwardfamily
If you can get it for $3400 then I would jump on it. I would go ahead and allow yourself another $500 for the piddly stuff you will run into. I'd also go ahead and try to find a soft top while you rehab the hard top since you won't need that until around October. You can probably find a rough one for a few hundred. Or....being in SC, get a $50 bikini top and keep the doors on it. Bundle up until it gets warmer.
I wonder how you can say this Jeep is worth $3400 with out seeing pictures of the frame, tub, and other areas. Not even to mention the non working guages.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Jbwardfamily
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I wonder how you can say this Jeep is worth $3400 with out seeing pictures of the frame, tub, and other areas. Not even to mention the non working guages.
In my area, the Jeeps that need a fair amount of work will get $3400 easily. If the engine is strong and the compression is good then everything else is easy enough to fix or replace. Sheet metal and gages would not prevent me from getting it.
Jbwardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
bulldawgburns
1977 CJ5 

Was this a red one in Greenville? I think I saw this one
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Jeep

I would not touch it! Keep looking.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
jeepn-aint-easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgburns View Post
Was this a red one in Greenville? I think I saw this one
Yes.
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
jeepn-aint-easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmantractors View Post
Going tomorrow to finalize a deal on another one. Can't wait to bring it home!
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
jeepmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmantractors View Post
Copy that, you don't want someone else's poor work to fix. That patchwork pic you provided looks like very sloppy work, and would kill the deal for me. Or drive price down another couple notches.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

At least you have seen now where they all rust. Th roll bars were put on before painting, so you will usually find a repair behind the front seats. The top leaks and you may well find the back floor is rotted. Any carpet is like a sponge in a CJ and the floors and sides adjoining the floor will rot. You will struggle to find on ethat is not rusted.

However that does not excuse a bodged repair. If bodged in one place then it is probably bodged where you cannot see, like under that glossy new paint.

A retub is not that difficult if you can find a donor.

I would not worry about gauges, they rarely work but are not expensive.

All in all it was worth buying if the price was right and you were interested in a tub off rebuild. Otherwise find one that someone has fixed.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
30YR_MCPO
1978 CJ5 

I'd keep looking, for $3400.00 you can find a Jeep in better condition. Good Luck!
30YR_MCPO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
advice needed , buying a jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.