**Need help with cowl seal** - bottom of seal keeps moving outward - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > **Need help with cowl seal** - bottom of seal keeps moving outward

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

**Need help with cowl seal** - bottom of seal keeps moving outward

I'm trying to install a new cowl seal and cannot get the seal to stay in position when the windshield is pulled back. All the screws are in place and tight that attach the seal to the bottom of the windshield frame.

Everything looks good and is flush with the front of the frame until the windshield is pulled back into the upright position. Then, ONLY the passenger side of the seal (from almost centerline of the Jeep over to the passenger side) pushes out and away from the frame. I have tried and tried different approaches to no avail. I've loosened the screws and pulling the seal inward (toward the rear of the Jeep) and then tightening them back. Still kicks the seal out. I've kept constant pressure on the seal while someone else pulls the windshield back, and it still kicks the seal out with me pushing against it as hard as I can.

Does anyone have any advice, or am I gonna have to try another seal?

1984Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Move the screw holes so the seal is further back. BTW... my windshield seal doesn't have that crazy flange in the front.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
dpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
BTW... my windshield seal doesn't have that crazy flange in the front.
I was thinking, something doesn't look right. are you sure you have the right seal? I've never seen that either.
dpuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

It's the right seal - got it from Morris 4x4 - cowl rubber seal. It's identical to the one that came off of there.

Are you talking about the lip on the forward facing side of the cowl seal? If so, every CJ I've ever seen has that.
Unread 06-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
48 willys
1968 CJ5 

welcome to the world of import trash.
the rubber is too thick at that point . measure and trim down or get another seal. been down this road with a trunk seal on a 67 chevelle .
is the windshield frame stock oem or aftermarket ? if aftermarket it could need to be straighten out on sealing surface. more import trash.
I agree too that the front lip should be setting almost flat to the cowl panel , mine does.
68 CJ-5 231 V-6 , sm465 trans , Dana-18 w/ overdrive , Dana 44 front and rear w/ 4:88 gears , ARB lockers front and rear , 4" lift , 33 12.5 15 mtz tires. all steel body with no rust , little tank offroad and drives great on the road with the over drive. it's a keeper......
48 willys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Laredo View Post
It's the right seal - got it from Morris 4x4 - cowl rubber seal. It's identical to the one that came off of there.

Are you talking about the lip on the forward facing side of the cowl seal? If so, every CJ I've ever seen has that.
Yes. It's the right seal. Some of mine had that but my current one doesn't. Just put holes further forward so the excess it inside vs. outside.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
dpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuck View Post
I was thinking, something doesn't look right. are you sure you have the right seal? I've never seen that either.
I stand corrected. I went out and looked at mine this morning. It has that lip, but doesn't look as big as what you have.
dpuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

If moving the holes doesn't work, is there any certain brand/supplier that you all have had good success with? I think this one was made by Rugged Ridge.
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Windshield Gasket Install

First off, it is helpful if you use a thin double-sided tape like "poster" tape available at all the office supply stores. Poster tape keeps the gasket in position but can be easily removed if needed. What lacks on the aftermarket seals is the OEM wire grid that kept the seal rigid under the windshield frame so it would not deform. Plus, they also had an adhesive strip for the top edge that laid on the outside part windshield frame.

Next, make sure you have the correct type of screws to install the gasket. Oval head screws with a finish washer is best as the cup part of the washer does not spin and tear the gasket while tightening the screws.

Now is the time to apply the "Poster" tape so you can seal the lip to the windshield frame.

Press the tape into place followed by a roller or suitable tool to press the gasket lip to the tape. You may have to pull the bottom part of the gasket at the base of the windshield frame to get the bottom lip to come out and seal against the tub base. But once the gasket is seated and sealed correctly, it will hold memory and should stay that way.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Gregg79CJ7304
2012 JK Wrangler 

Kieth460, excellent write up with pics....that is going to help alot of us.
Gregg79CJ7304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

Don't forget to test fit your doors. I had to trim some excess rubber from the seal to even get my windshield frame to screw down.- no matter how hard I pulled on it.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for all the replies so far. I do have the correct screws and the 2 sided tape like you mentioned. It's just that the passenger side gets pushed so far out every time that even tape can't fix it. At some spots it literally pushes the entire sealing surface on the leading edge of the seal out the front!
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

How are your windshield hinges setup? Even gap across the bottom? The hinges should be set so they are even at the top of cowl as shown in the photo below.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

There is an even gap. However, the tops of the hinges are not even with the top of the cowl. The tops of the hinges sit 1/16" - 3/32" higher than the top of the cowl. I will try to move the hinges down to be even with the cowl, although this seems like it would make the seal push out even more.
Unread 06-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Laredo View Post
I will try to move the hinges down to be even with the cowl, although this seems like it would make the seal push out even more.
I think you're right as this would try to compress the seal even more. With the windshield frame installed and no seal, is there an even gap along the bottom of the windshield frame as compared to the top of the cowl?

You can see on mine how the passengers side has a nice even gap but the driver's side gets rather tight. Mine initially had the same issues as yours until I tweaked the bottom of the frame to make the gap more even. I didn't do it quite enough as the seal is still trying to push out a little bit on the driver's side but the passenger's side is perfect. I've just been too lazy to lower the windshield again to fix that little area.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.