Need help with coil / dist - motor swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help with coil / dist - motor swap

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
1977redcj5

Need help with coil / dist - motor swap

I am swapping out the motor in my 77 cj5 with a motor out of an 82 cj. I ran a GM HEI for the past 8 years with no issues, but the new motor came with an acel coil and stock distributor and I need some help deciding what to run. I'm into trying the setup on the engine, but don't need any emissions and don't want to make a bunch of extra work. I'm running a Motorcraft 2100 carb if that matters.

Can I just put a full 12 volt on the acel coil and ground the coil and run it or do I have to connect the wires on the bottom of the distributor to the duraspark box to make it run? And if so what does the other duraspark connector connect to? What are the wires at the base of the distributor for anyway?

I have surfed all over and see long posts about rewiring systems and if that is my only option I will just run the HEI again as it didn't have all of the issues I have read about - apparently because it is real an not a clone.

Thanks

1977redcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This is what a Duraspark system looks like when set up.

If you have the distributir you will find the two sensor wires and ground wire come out of the side to a plug. The ground wire is for the module but you can achieve better results by grounding the module directly.

The wiring diagram may assist you. Thsi one is for a later compouter controlled version so ignre the sensor wires going off to the MCU and returning.

You have two plugs on the module that need to be connected up. On the 2 pin plug you have a red and a white but it will run with just the red connected to a 12V supply which is on in Run and Start.

The 4 pin plug has two sensor wires, the ground and a wire that goes to the coil to turn the coil on and off.

The coil has a wire from the ICM and a live wire. If you have a ballasted coil the live wire needs to show about 7V in Run and 12V in Start.

There are other options. You could do the Stealth HEI ICM which is supposedly more reliable but you will need an e-core coil for it. The distributor cap and leads can be upgraded with the Teamrush upgrade which opens it up to high energy ignition systems such as CDI and MSD.
durasparkii.jpg

schematic-ignition-layout.png

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Just keep running the HEI.

Running the HEI for 8 years means you have a keeper. And with the duracrap ignition you will need to add a resistor wire to feed the accell coil.

PS. I never had much luck with anything yellow on anything I owned.

Duraspark=Duracrap

Stick with HEI.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
1977redcj5

Thanks Bagas for the detailed info. I'm definitely torn as I heard the motor run in the jeep before I bought it to swap and it ran sweet and while my old motor ran really well I wondered if the setup on it was the reason of if it will run as well with my HEI. I guess I could start with my HEI and if it isn't as good as it ran in the donor jeep go to Bagas's setup. I know the HEI gets a lot of debates going on the threads, but my jeep had one in it when I bought it and I ran it for 8 years before my jeep died to what I believe is a spun cam bearing.
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
CSP

Swapping the HEI is a lot easier than adding a bunch of wiring.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
1977redcj5

For sure! My HEI is already on the new motor, I just have to wait to fire it up and tune it. My daughters bedroom is right above the garage and it is 10:30pm. So only quiet wrenching for now.

Thanks for everybody help - once again.
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Ignition is a hot topic on the Forum because it is one area where easy to implement alternatives exist.

I have Teamrushed my Motorcrat Duraspark system on two Jeeps (Bagusjeep and Gladys) after hunting down hard to find parts, they are not avalable here so I spent a lot of money. I am now on my way to the Stealth HEI and e-core module on Bagusjeep, just need a few more bits. I am thinking next year about an MSD module and CDI for Gladys, which will be light years ahead of HEI at lower revs where I spend my time. I dread to recount how much I have spent to date and plan to spend but I could have got a new set of tyres.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 04:29 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

So you were running HEI and had a cam failure...... Sounds like a normal thread to me.... I would Sure be taking a strong light down in that distributor hole on the old engine to verify the HEI didn't chew out the cam gear before putting it anywhere near the new motor. The HEI hard gear won't show wear, only the cam gear.

I am running the stock 258 setup with the accell coil and get great performance out of it. Even with a 4.0 HO engine under it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Want to be different and still have the prestolite distributor?

Graft a remote mount gray TFI module from a ford F150 pickup. Just go junking and grab the hole heat sink, module, and harness to the distributor.
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #10
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
So you were running HEI and had a cam failure...... Sounds like a normal thread to me....
How did you jump to that conclusion??
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post

How did you jump to that conclusion??
He mentioned he had a can failure he thought. It would be worth a close look at the gear just in case I would think.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Double post
Unread 04-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Older engines. Doesn't anyone change the gear out on the new Hei with the one that is on the original distributor? Selling the Hei without a gear and making it an option available for purchase for new builds would be a much smarter thing to do I think.
Just saying
Red Neck
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #14
1977redcj5

I think I either spun a bearing or have a lobe that went flat. The cam gear for the HEI looked fine no discernable wear so I don't think the HEI was the issue. Like I said is was in there the 8 years I have owned the jeep and who knows how long it was in the engine before that. It isn't one of the aftermarket ones it is a JY find. I drilled the gear to see if it was hardened and it drilled without much effort so hopefully I'm good to go for another 8 plus years.
Unread 04-12-2014, 04:29 AM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977redcj5
I think I either spun a bearing or have a lobe that went flat. The cam gear for the HEI looked fine no discernable wear so I don't think the HEI was the issue. Like I said is was in there the 8 years I have owned the jeep and who knows how long it was in the engine before that. It isn't one of the aftermarket ones it is a JY find. I drilled the gear to see if it was hardened and it drilled without much effort so hopefully I'm good to go for another 8 plus years.
If it was a JY distributor then someone had to put a gear on it to make it correct. So its a non issue. Probably popped the gear off their old one and put it on the HEI.

Junkyard HEI and no detonation issues?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.