Need help on CJ front hub! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help on CJ front hub!

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
SugarBear
1969 CJ5 

image-1549986525.jpg

The piece of metel, aka key.

image-2410694045.jpg   image-1487079191.jpg   image-3185395509.jpg  
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

That is woodruff key stock. I am not sure it goes anywhere in the front hub assembly. I had one apart down to the spindle (didn't need to take it off for what I was doing) and there are no keys in it at all. The groove you have it laying in is for the tab on the washers to slide into and hold the washers in place, it really serves no other purpose that I know of. I have not had the spindle off but I do not believe it has any place for a key either.

I just double check a pictoral break down and it shows no woodruff key in the spindle area either. Where did you get the info that you needed the key stock? There is one in the rear, I wonder if someone was thinking rear when you said drums?
twocents.gif

Unread 11-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #18
hoat69
1982 CJ7 

I am sure there is no key in the front hub or under the spindle. I just had my cj7 front wheel assembly all apart and there is no key. You gotta get a service manual they are invaluable.
hoat69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I hate to say it, but your spindle is shot. At least that's what it looks like from the pictures. Those last 6 threads are gone. And there's no repairing that. Replacement is the only option.

Trust me, if you don't you'll be right back where you are now within a VERY short amount of time (probably about the time you get to the end of your driveway).
image-1487079191.jpg  
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #20
CSP

Whomever told you that you needed that key stock has no clue.

That keyway is for a slotted washer that retains the inner spindle nut. Jeephammer posted this picture earlier. Top left in the photo.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
SugarBear
1969 CJ5 

Ohhh, okay guys.. I understand now. Thanks for your help.. I'll ask if I have anymore questions.
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #22
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

CSP is correct,
The 'Slot' in the spindle is for the keys on the washers so they don't spin when you tighten up the nuts.
Without the keys in the washers, the washers can spin, causing you to over tighten the nuts and more importantly,
Allow the turning bearings to LOOSEN the nuts during operation.

--------------------

Your spindle is shot, let me know if you need one, have a 2 or three laying around here and you can have them.
Just PM me an address and I'll get them out to you.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.