need help- - CJ ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need help- - CJ ?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-11-2002, 12:36 PM   #16
BART CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Is there any easy fix like this for the 1 barrel on my '79 258. The accelerator pump port just sits there and drips at idle. When she gets warmed up she loads up, and starts terrible. My other option is a Weber conversion.

My 258 has plenty of power for me. If I was to get a V8 I would definetly want power steering. I'm 6'3" and have a full cage in my CJ5 and I have room. It's no Suburban but I love it.

BART CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2002, 01:31 PM   #17
cj5mudman4x4

I have a CJ5 but I wish I could have found a good CJ7. I would go with the 304, 304's put out just as much torque as 350's and are cheaper. And also go with a 4spd. As for the price, haggle with the guy.
good luck!
INDEPENDENT OFFROAD member Bowling Green, Ky
cj5mudman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2002, 06:06 PM   #18
DIXIE

Quote:
Originally posted by SamFromCO

Have you tried drilling out the idle tubes yet? The idle problem is real common with the Carter BBD.
Like this:Idle tube fix
Well I performed the procedure that you recommended. I drilled out both of the long copper tubes that go down through the venturi. Is this all you did?
Unread 11-11-2002, 08:01 PM   #19
SamFromCO

That's all I did. You might look real close to make sure that you don't leave any little burrs. You can remove them with a fine emery board. Let me know if it worked for you.
SamFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2002, 08:23 PM   #20
DIXIE

It seemed to help a lot. I adjusted my idle down and it seemed to stay running much better. I think there is some bad gas in it though. It hasn't been driven much lately and has had to sit outside a little. Probably drew a little moisture. I plan to drive it as much as possible this week so we will see by the end of the week how things are going. Thanks again for your help.
DIXIE
Unread 11-12-2002, 08:28 AM   #21
DaveFL

Hehe, never thought I'd see someone posting from Melborne Ark on this board

I was born in Batesville, parents grew up in Mt Pleasant/Guion, Beautiful country up there.

Oh and the Hogs are my Second Favorite Sec team GO GATORS!
Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2002, 08:27 AM   #22
TennCJ

CJ Buyer=Me

Dixie-I am in Chattanooga TN, but used to live in Oxford...Coincidently my last name is Faulkner, but that's going down a whole nother trail. As for your CJ, do you still have it? I am looking for one in good condition, and yours looks really nice. If you have more pictures, please email them to jwfaulkner@mccallie.org, or post them here. Thanks
TennCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2002, 09:35 AM   #23
DIXIE

Re: CJ Buyer=Me

Quote:
Originally posted by TennCJ
Dixie-I am in Chattanooga TN, but used to live in Oxford...Coincidently my last name is Faulkner, but that's going down a whole nother trail. As for your CJ, do you still have it? I am looking for one in good condition, and yours looks really nice. If you have more pictures, please email them to jwfaulkner@mccallie.org, or post them here. Thanks
Here are some more pics. I will try to post some more maybe this afternoon.

Unread 11-13-2002, 11:07 AM   #24
TennCJ

Ok, thanks for the pics. I will be in touch
TennCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2002, 08:56 AM   #25
CJ Fanatic

If I could do it again, I would try to find a 1986 CJ7. This year they used the Dana 300 transfer case, and Dana 44 axles from the factory.

1977 CJ5, '75 258, Motorcraft 2150 carb, HEI dizzy, BDS 2.5" suspension, 3/4" Daystar Rock Krusher Greasable shackles, M.O.R.E. steering brace, Flaming River steering shaft, Tie rod flip, Yukon AMC20 axle kit, 1.5" Trail Sport wheel spacers, 15x10" Black Cragar soft 8s w/ 33" Yokohama Geolander MTs, Goodridge SS brake lines, Classic Tube stainless hard lines, YJ power brake with front disc upgrade (had 4 wheel drums)
CJ Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:09 PM   #26
green eyed son

i would look for an 86 cj7 with the optional dana 44.
the 304 doesnt really overpower the 258 and from what ive heard the i-6 is more reliable
rust is a big problem with the cj so try to find one thats relatively clean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.