need help- - CJ ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need help- - CJ ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 11-03-2002, 08:04 PM   #1
off-road arkie

need help- - CJ ?

I have a tj. I sold my yj. I want to buy a cj and was wondering if you guys could tell me what was good and what was bad in these models? Would you go with the 258 or the 304 ? 3spd. or 4spd. I have found a 1980 renegade with a 258 and a 4 spd. for 3500.00 good or bad?

Unread 11-03-2002, 08:26 PM   #2
Richard

Get a V8 you will be so much happier w/ a V8 then a I-6 and id go w/ a cj5 4spd if i was you
Unread 11-03-2002, 10:26 PM   #3
onesojourner

i would also get the 304 but i would get the 7 over the 5.
onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2002, 10:55 PM   #4
rustyCJ

it all depends on what you want to do with the jeep, get it to slap on a bunch of chrome, drive around and look good or chop the tub, do a springover and stick on 37's?

before anyone can answer any of your questions they need that info first.
Unread 11-04-2002, 03:13 PM   #5
55-willys

not to kock cj-5s, i have an old M38-A1 [cj-5]. but i have to agree, the cj-7 is the one. more room. and diffently a V-8. a four speed would be nice, if you could find one. but a three speed would do.
Unread 11-04-2002, 10:02 PM   #6
SamFromCO

I like the '82-'86 CJ7's because of the wide track axles and they have a bunch more room than the CJ5's. I don't know about the 304. I can keep up with the 304's with my 258 and it has great low end torque for off road.
The main thing to watch out for in the CJ's is rust. Rusted body mounts, frames, and rust under "protective panels". Check the frame near the spring mounts for cracks. IMO $3500 is bit much for a 1980 unless it's pretty well equipped or real low mileage.
SamFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 12:42 PM   #7
cjryder

You'll hear that 7's are better than 5's from most, but I like the 5's. Shorter is better if you want a backwoods mud and snow grinder. If your bringing the kids get a 7.
And I wouldn't knock the 258 either. Are you wanting this for Saturday nite cruisin' or is this your off roader? 258 is torquey enough, and chances are your not looking for a racecar.
cjryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2002, 02:57 PM   #8
DIXIE

Where are you at in Ark? I am in Fayetteville and have an 85 CJ-7. It is all original from 1985 and has about 66K original miles on it. It has the I6 258 with 4 speed. If you are near and want to look it over to have one to compare to let me know.
Unread 11-07-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
off-road arkie

I live in Melbourne about 30 miles north of batesville I am looking for a CJ to buy. I sold my YJ and sill have my TJ and thout I would try my luck with a CJ . Everyting about a CJ is new to me and if you have any advice I could use it. thanks....
Unread 11-10-2002, 08:46 PM   #10
DIXIE

I cannot give much advice on the CJ. I have had mine for about 5 years and the only problem I have had is with how it idles. It just started the last year or so. I had a new carb put on it and it idled fine for a month or two. Now I am back to wondering if it is going to stay running when I have to stop. Here is a pic.

Unread 11-10-2002, 08:50 PM   #11
thecarman

Quote:
Originally posted by DIXIE
I cannot give much advice on the CJ. I have had mine for about 5 years and the only problem I have had is with how it idles. It just started the last year or so. I had a new carb put on it and it idled fine for a month or two. Now I am back to wondering if it is going to stay running when I have to stop. Here is a pic.

That's a good lookin CJ.
Unread 11-10-2002, 09:14 PM   #12
SamFromCO

Quote:
......Now I am back to wondering if it is going to stay running when I have to stop......
Have you tried drilling out the idle tubes yet? The idle problem is real common with the Carter BBD.
Like this:Idle tube fix
SamFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 09:15 PM   #13
DIXIE

Quote:
Originally posted by thecarman

That's a good lookin CJ.

Thanks... It is my baby and doesn't get driven as much as it should. I guess I am trying to preserve it's originality.
Unread 11-10-2002, 09:15 PM   #14
thecarman

Quote:

Thanks... It is my baby and doesn't get driven as much as it should. I guess I am trying to preserve it's originality.
Hey not a big deal I know what you mean....
Unread 11-10-2002, 09:41 PM   #15
DIXIE

Quote:
Originally posted by SamFromCO

Have you tried drilling out the idle tubes yet? The idle problem is real common with the Carter BBD.
Like this:Idle tube fix
I haven't even heard of doing this. Everyone else just tells me to check all the vacuum hoses. I have done that and never found anything. I have some extra time this week. I might give this a try. Right now I just have my idle turned up to keep it from dying. Thanks for the help. I will let you know how it goes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.