Need help with on board air - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help with on board air

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
coyote69

Need help with on board air

I've gotten everything on and hooked up. I'm getting air preasure. Pop off valve works as well as the shut off for air presure limit. The York compresor that I am using gets some sort of hot. Is this going to lead to premature failure? Is this normal? Can this compresor hold up under this heat?
Thanks!!

coyote69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

I don't know much about this but wasn't the compressor lubed by the freon? Now with air flowing through instead of freon what lubes it? I am ready to do this too so let's here it. This has been done too many times for it to be complicated.
Unread 07-19-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
GPER
1979 CJ7 

You do have motor oil in it right?????????
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
cueball

yeah, use 10w30 to lubricate it. go to kilby's site and download the york manual. it tells you how much to put in and how to measure the oil. does it make any noise? i had a bad york and it was screaming when i started it up... something inside wasnt right. so i got another.

for the price of a used york, it wouldnt hurt to get another.

Hello to the New - 1999 TJ Sport 4.0L auto.. stock for now
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

My York OBA setup on my old CJ got pretty hot in just a short time.. I just continued running it though. Never failed. I even plumbed it into my ARB setup when my ARB compressor died at Paragon last year. Left the York turned on all day and it probably cycled on about every 2 minutes or so the entire day.. again, no problems.
Even shop compressors get very hot. My little 5hp belt driven compressor would get too hot to touch in just a minute of running.

.. tomthbomb, a York compressor is different than the rotary type in that it uses a crankshaft, connecting rod and piston... just like a belt driven compressor in a shop. It has a crankcase with its own oil supply. That's what makes it such a good compressor for OBA setups..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

AC compressors are typically also lubed by oil that circulates with the freon and cooled by the freon. It is my understanding that with out this the life will be shortened (probably acceptable as the compressors are cheap). I have heard that the life can be extended by coating the interior of the cylinders with synthetic oil and baking them in an oven (time and temperature unknown). This should be less of an issue with sump type compressors Chrysler/Ford(including York). The simple act of compression generates considerable heat, it is how diesel engines work.
Enjoy!
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
coyote69

Went and tried this set up on a tire (31X12.5) Went from on the ground flat to 32 psi in just over 2 minutes. Oil in compressor is fine, guess I will just have to live with the heat. I don't think there will be too much though if I can air up my tire in 2 minutes That's just 8 minutes running time anyway.
Thanks for all the input guys!
coyote69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.