Need help adjusting throttle valve linkage -AMC360/tf727 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help adjusting throttle valve linkage -AMC360/tf727

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
hunts2much
1978 CJ7 

Need help adjusting throttle valve linkage -AMC360/tf727

So I'm having trouble hooking up/adjusting the throttle valve linkage (what some people call a kick down cable) in my CJ7 with an Amc360/Tf727 combo. I'm in the process of converting from gas (carb) to propane with a used Gotpropane kit which uses a Holley base plate/throttle link. I'm working with a Lokar kick down linkage/cable.

After doing quite a bit of searching I think I understand the basics:

-At full throttle on the carb (when I say carb I mean mixer from here on) adjust the linkage so the throttle lever on the trans end is pulled fully towards the rear of the jeep.

-Do not allow the throttle lever on the transmission to limit the travel of the accelerator cable.

-At idle the lever on the the transmission needs to have very little to no slack

Here is the problem I'm having... The lever on the transmission has a few inches of travel but it seams to like to come to rest (with no linkage hooked up) somewhere in the middle of it's full range of travel. It's got me thinking there should be a spring that returns the throttle lever on the transmission all the way back at idle... Am I off base here? If a spring was hooked up I would have no problem adjusting the linkage within the specs listed above but with out the spring return I can't get the linkage in spec. So I'm guessing I need the spring or something is wrong with the throttle lever on the transmission or I just don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Someone PLEASE educate me before I trash a transmission.

hunts2much is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.