Need guidance on my 1985 jeep cj7 build!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need guidance on my 1985 jeep cj7 build!!!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-04-2014, 03:59 AM   #1
Swampjeep85
1985 CJ7 

Need guidance on my 1985 jeep cj7 build!!!

Hey everyone new here and I think I'm posting this in the right place,
I need some ideas of what uprgrades to do to my jeep, she's a completely stock 85 cj7 with less than 10k miles on 258 amc, t4 tranny, with the Dana 300 with ?.?? gears front and rear. She has a 2.5 inch suspension lift but that's it. I do a lot of trail riding and I mean A LOT! Always in deep water and muck and sugarsand and I'm always driving through palmetto stumps. I've already drowned her in a lake and my entire drivetrain, so water is a constant variable in my daily activities

I just started learning to work on my jeep and I'm not quite sure what I need and don't need to get my jeep to where It performs the way I need it to, so it needs to take a beating and be able to handle light baja style driving on the trails and 36in tires atleast so What ignition upgrades, armor, suspension, internal motor upgrades, axle, body, gears, and WATER PROTECTION ideas would you recommend for what I need?

Oh and I want to keep my jeep as close to original as possible so no motor/axle swaps are on the table

Last edited by Swampjeep85; 04-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Didn't realize I'm retarded and can't ask questions clearly.
Swampjeep85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

First, there's no such thing as 2.33 gears in a CJ.

Second, your goals to run "baja style" on 36" tires and keep the CJ "as close to original as possible" is an oxymoron. A CJ simply wasn't designed to run that much rubber.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

There has been a Real good thread on water protection in the past on here. It starts by adding a high water vent to the transmission instead of the stupid button vent and ends with a pressurised system pumping air into the diffs,, tranny and t-case and distributor.

As mentioned 36's are a bit much for stock running gear.

Check out the Nutter bypass thread for cleaning up on emissions and vacuum stuff.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampjeep85 View Post
Hey everyone new here and I think I'm posting this in the right place,
I need some ideas of what uprgrades to do to my jeep, she's a completely stock 85 cj7 with less than 10k miles on 258 amc, t4 tranny, with the Dana 300 with 2.33 gears front and rear. She has a 2.5 inch lift but that's it. I do a lot of trail riding and I mean A LOT! Always in deep water and muck and sugarsand and I'm always driving through palmetto stumps. I've already drowned her in a lake and my entire drivetrain, so water is a constant variable in my daily activities

I just started learning to work on my jeep and I'm not quite sure what I need and don't need to get my jeep to where It performs the way I need it to, so it needs to take a beating and be able to handle baja style driving on the trails and 36in tires atleast so What ignition upgrades, armor, suspension, internal motor upgrades, axle, body, gears, and WATER PROTECTION ideas would you recommend for what I need?

Oh and I want to keep my jeep as close to original as possible so no motor/axle swaps are on the table
So, what the heck are you looking to build - a mud runner, competent trail rig, or a fast moving baja style vehicle? Lots of info and opinions here but you have to narrow down and be realistic about your goals and expectations. For instance, mud rigs are generally taller, have stiffer suspensions, run big(ger) motors, have accessories and nonessentials removed, and are waterproofed to the max. Trail rigs are kept lower with more compliant suspensions and the biggest tires that will fit without rubbing during axle articulation. Lockers are found in both as are rollcages. Mud rigs don't really need body armor - just adds weight. As for a Baja style vehicle, that's a completely different beast too.

I would suggest that you may be looking for a South East mud and trail rig - one the is not the best at either but competent enough to handle moderate trails/mud holes with some driver skill and without constant breakage.

So, my point is that your question will be ignored by the smart folks here that know you can't have it all, or answers will be all over the map because we can only guess what you really want. Figure out realistic use and goals for your Jeep and let us know.
Unread 04-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well said knucklehead.
One thing you should upgrade no matter which direction you go is to replace the 2 pc. hub/shaft in the rear AMC20 axle with a good 1 piece axle. It's about a $300 fix. Your gears are most likely 2.73's, which are the highest made and that's usually not a good thing ESPECIALLY if your going to run 36" tires.
Jeeps will do wonders without "beating" them, provided they are set up for a particular use. Not keeping that in mind can get very expensive.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I grew up in the swamps of Louisiana. As stated a mudtruck will not have the same requirements as a Baja truck. The first thing we always did was stronger drivetrain. We ditched the sixes,wimpy transmissions and highway gears. Stripped the vehicle of every non-essential item that we could. Fat tires such as 12.5s would not necessarily be used. Most of us ran 10.5 or narrower. There is much,much more than this but it's a start.

If high speed running is what you want it'll be different in many aspects.

A combination could be made but will be lacking in certain areas for each.

Good luck; plenty of help here,just ask the right questions......

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Swampjeep85
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
So, what the heck are you looking to build - a mud runner, competent trail rig, or a fast moving baja style vehicle? Lots of info and opinions here but you have to narrow down and be realistic about your goals and expectations. For instance, mud rigs are generally taller, have stiffer suspensions, run big(ger) motors, have accessories and nonessentials removed, and are waterproofed to the max. Trail rigs are kept lower with more compliant suspensions and the biggest tires that will fit without rubbing during axle articulation. Lockers are found in both as are rollcages. Mud rigs don't really need body armor - just adds weight. As for a Baja style vehicle, that's a completely different beast too.

I would suggest that you may be looking for a South East mud and trail rig - one the is not the best at either but competent enough to handle moderate trails/mud holes with some driver skill and without constant breakage.

So, my point is that your question will be ignored by the smart folks here that know you can't have it all, or answers will be all over the map because we can only guess what you really want. Figure out realistic use and goals for your Jeep and let us know.
Yeah I apologize for not being more specific (why i said i dont know what im doing)but it's not a mud toy I want. i just do A LOT Of huntin and my property is on the st.johns river and Im looking to make my jeep capable of handling the river crossings and taking a beating from the trails Cause I've broken both axles already from stumps, logs ect

and sorry I used "baja style" loosely, I don't go all out 4th gear hittin trails anymore but I just want it to be able to handle the ride smoothly when i do go ride at a faster pace. so I guess I'm saying what would be the best suspension for that?
Unread 04-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Swampjeep85
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
First, there's no such thing as 2.33 gears in a CJ.

Second, your goals to run "baja style" on 36" tires and keep the CJ "as close to original as possible" is an oxymoron. A CJ simply wasn't designed to run that much rubber.

Matt
I don't know myself, that's just what the shop i took it to told me when I asked them to check what it is, cause I have no idea how to check the ratio. And there's no realistic way of 36s? Even with the axle shafts the other guy mentioned? If not what's the biggest tire I could run safely? I'm planning on getting new rings and pinion for both front and rear I just don't know an ideal ratio to go with
Unread 04-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
Swampjeep85
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
There has been a Real good thread on water protection in the past on here. It starts by adding a high water vent to the transmission instead of the stupid button vent and ends with a pressurised system pumping air into the diffs,, tranny and t-case and distributor.

As mentioned 36's are a bit much for stock running gear.

Check out the Nutter bypass thread for cleaning up on emissions and vacuum stuff.
Thanks for the advice! I checked out the bypass thread and now I'm tearing all the crap I don't need out right now haha
Unread 04-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Here's the Jeephammer thread that has several posts with detailed information on waterproofing various Jeep components:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wa...bs-ect-675585/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.