Need Electrical Guru!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need Electrical Guru!!!

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 05-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Need Electrical Guru!!!

Just put a 1989 YJ tub AND interior on a 1984 CJ frame and drivetrain with CJ front fenders and grill. I used the YJ interior wiring harnesses and wired the engine compartment as needed. NO computer or pollution crap and did the Nutter Bypass. 258 with 2 BBL carb. 3 issues...
1-fuel gauge gets pinned as soon as you turn key on (New CJ sender).
2-all lights work fine but the dash indicators show high beam and left turn when you select left turn or hazards. Also right turn indicator doesn't come on at all (light not burnt out).
3-where do you connect the back up light wire from tranny (5 speed).

I know there is a guy on here that is and electrical expert but I forgot his name. ANY help would be GREAT! Thanks

Chlarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

John Strenk
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
John Strenk
This ^^^^^^^^^

And of course JEEPHAMMER......where's the HAMMER these days????
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlarock View Post
Just put a 1989 YJ tub AND interior on a 1984 CJ frame and drivetrain with CJ front fenders and grill. I used the YJ interior wiring harnesses and wired the engine compartment as needed. NO computer or pollution crap and did the Nutter Bypass. 258 with 2 BBL carb. 3 issues...
2-all lights work fine but the dash indicators show high beam and left turn when you select left turn or hazards. Also right turn indicator doesn't come on at all (light not burnt out).
3-where do you connect the back up light wire from tranny (5 speed).

I know there is a guy on here that is and electrical expert but I forgot his name. ANY help would be GREAT! Thanks

Sheach thanks guys.

1. Bad ground. Check to make sure the gauge is grounded properly. Add ground wires if unsure. Since you just changed the tub, did you ground it?
2. You got your lights mixed up. Plugged into the wrong holes.
3. I'll need a schematic for a YJ to figure out that.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlarock View Post
Just put a 1989 YJ tub AND interior on a 1984 CJ frame and drivetrain...

When you say you put the YJ interior on your CJ, does that include the YJ dash and gauges?
John, doesn't the YJ fuel gauge require a completely different sending unit? IIRC, the CJ sending unit is low resistance when full and high resistance when empty, but the YJ sending unit is the reverse of that.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
When you say you put the YJ interior on your CJ, does that include the YJ dash and gauges?
John, doesn't the YJ fuel gauge require a completely different sending unit? IIRC, the CJ sending unit is low resistance when full and high resistance when empty, but the YJ sending unit is the reverse of that.
Missed that part.

Yes, the YJ fuel gauge will need a YJ sending unit. The resistance is Backwards. No easy change for that.

Was a YJ steering column used or a CJ?. Might need to switch to a YJ turn signal switch. If it is a YJ coulmn, Id look for poor connections.

Didn;t the YJ have problems with the circuit board for the dash?
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the help guys. I installed a complete YJ tub AND interior with dash and steering column. Tried a YJ sending unit but it is a larger diameter and didn't fit the tank. Does this mean I have to change the tank??? Gas fill is on opposite side. I switched the fill to the passenger side to look like a CJ since that was the tank on the frame. Is it safe to retro fit the YJ sending unit to fit the CJ tank. I think it's just the top that is larger. It does fit into the tank.
As for turn signal problem...I'll check the connections on the column again.
Back up light...I had to use some YJ wiring under the hood so there is a connector for the tranny the has an extra wire on the engine compartment side and a loop on the tranny side (short wire that comes out of the connector and right back in like a jumper or something)
Thanks again for all the help.
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
dan-cj7
1984 CJ7 

I'd think the short wire you are talking about that goes out of the plug and back into it is for the manual transmission. That wire would go to the auto computer if you had one. For the reverse lights to work you need a hot on run (when the key is in run position) circuit to the plug on the tranny and then to to the lights. The lights should be grounded at the body with the screws that hold the light to the body.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dans-downunder-84-cj7-build-1299387/
dan-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Thanks. I'll give that extra wire a test.
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

I Think I am looking at the wrong connection. I see that the 2 contact connection on driver side of tranny is the backup light switch not the one I was looking at. There is a single contact connection on the passenger side of the tranny. What is that for??? This is a t5 tranny.
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

You mean the switch shown in this photo? That's the 4x4 indicator switch. It's on the transfer case though, not the transmission.

Thanks, Keith, for the photo
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

On A CJ it's for the 4WD Light in the Speedometer.

I just got a YJ schematic Yesterday but i haven't had time to look through it yet.
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Correctomundo you are...Transfer case...and a nice one at that. The wiring has gotten me turned all around here. The one extra wire on the connector for the tranny/transfer case has no power when key is turned. Of course I didn't check yet but is the 4WD light activated by a ground instead?
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

yes, it's activated by the switch closing, grounding the circuit.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Wonderful! I think that's one more electrical problem solved. Thanks to all. My biggest puzzle now is the fuel gauge. Complete YJ interior on CJ frame with CJ tank. Bought a YJ sender but it's too big...top is larger diameter than CJ sender top. Any way to retro fit this???

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.