Need CJ7 body & frame restoration advice, combining 2 CJ-7s into 1 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need CJ7 body & frame restoration advice, combining 2 CJ-7s into 1

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 09-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Denver_Diesel

Need CJ7 body & frame restoration advice, combining 2 CJ-7s into 1

So this is my first rodeo and need some help. I'm looking to leverage on the vast experience base here as I've not done a restoration before. Here's what I've got going on:
I recently bought an '84 CJ7 after years of wanting to get back into one (my stepdad had a 77 CJ7 V8, loved it, asked him never to sell it....he sold it). So I bought one that I found that has a nice frame and decent driveline. Previous guy did an engine swap to a V6, which i will not be sticking with.
Well after about 2 rides (doors and top OFF) I got my roommate infected with the bug and he went off and bought the scrambler he's been wanting for years...also an '84.
Then about a week later (that's last week), we found a guy wanting to part out his '82 CJ7. It's a kludge but had a number of things we both wanted to pull. We've spent about 2 days taking it apart, and just last night made a lot of progress.
So, I've got a good frame on my driving CJ, but a shot body (the tub is just terrible underneath). The body is off the parts Jeep and I'm going to use it as it is pretty good. So here's the main question:
-What should I do to that body (tub, fenders, hood, grill) i pulled? There's light surface rust underneath, one small area of bubbling paint so i assume it's a surface rust issue (feels firm when pressed). I mean, the body is off and almost completely disassembled, so i'm thinking of media blasting, coating, painting. But what's are the steps, what materials to use for coating, is it a do-it-yourself job or take it to a body shop sort of job? What should I not do?
I appreciate any advice from folks who have gone down this road (I'll be asking about mechanical issues later on in this thread...concentrating on preparing the body at this point). Thanks and i'll put up a few pictures when i can.

Last edited by Denver_Diesel; 09-03-2009 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: typo fix
Denver_Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
47redwillys
1967 CJ5 

There are several threads on here where folks have done all the things you are asking about. Read them for lots of good information and pertinenet info. As far as having others do the work that depends on your financials and time availability. It is more rewarding to do all that you can, typically cheaper and the quality of your work may even be better. Blasting is easy to do but filthy work and finding someone to let you use their gear might be tough depending on where you live. It is not that hard to spray paint, but it seems to scare a lot of people off. With the internet to gather information you have the ability to look around and probably find someone in the same boat you are in and see what they have done.
47redwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Welcome to the club of Jeep restoration but, are you actually doing a frame off restoration or just sandblasting, wire wheeling and spray painting and calling it a restoration? Lots of folks have a their own way of what they call a vehicle restoration and you will get different opinions on this forum as well. Keywords that get bounced around the forum are "restoration", "upgrades", "rework", "refurbishing" and so on, but a true restoration starts with documentation, photos, labeling, bagging and tagging and knowing what you want your Jeep to be at the end of the project and that's just for starters. If you plan on doing everything by yourself, be prepared to test your skill level and know when to pass the ball to someone else to do the work that you may be unfamiliar with. To me, a restoration of a vehicle is starting from scratch with a bare bones chassis frame and returning the vehicle as it came from the factory with little or no modifications and good enough to be put in an auto museum but able to drive everyday if you wanted to.

I'm currently doing an 84' CJ-7, that I've owned since new, and hope to have it finished early next year and it has been almost 2 1/2 years already since I started in April of 2007. Taking longer than I want as prepping the body for paint is something I will not do as I do not have experience and do not wish to practice on this Jeep either. Business travel takes time away from my project also and you will need to set yourself up with a realistic goal to reach if you ever want to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You can check my project with the link in my signature to get a general idea of what a full restoration entails.

Good Luck!

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Denver_Diesel

thanks for the input

I will investigate the various posts out there and especially yours. thanks for your input.
Denver_Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
caanzaldua
1981 CJ7 

Awesome restoration project, Keith! I just acquired a 1981 CJ7 about 3 weeks ago. I'm going to start restoring her from the frame up. Your project link and photos is very inspiring and detailed.
caanzaldua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
CSP

Denver don't look just here either. You have access to the web obviously, so use various search engines to find topics related to body work and paint. Information doesn't have to be specific to CJ's to be applicable.

If you do decide to have the tub media blasted I highly suggest Blast Tech which is near Santa Fe and Hampden. They done several blast jobs for me on parts ranging from Jeep frames and sheemetal to toolboxes to a '68 Camaro body and do a great job.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.