Need CJ Steering Column Upper Bearings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need CJ Steering Column Upper Bearings

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
wirsima
1982 CJ7 

Need CJ Steering Column Upper Bearings

Help!!! I've disassembled my 1981 tilt CJ steering column and need to replace the upper bearings. Based on my Parts catalog, it is a J320 8362 Bearing Assembly but I cannot seem to cross reference this part number to any replacement. Does anyone know where to source these bearings?

Finally, this thing was really tricky to get apart and I know assembly is going to be a lot harder, is there any a really good source assembly manual for the steering column other than my blurry parts book?

wirsima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
lgreve
1977 CJ7 

try this website this company has a lot of great parts for jeeps so i would try here first

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...arts&submit=Go
CHRISTIAN JEEPER #230
lgreve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
CSP

It's a GM Saginaw column, so any GM vehicle of the same vintage probably uses the same bearings.

Look up the parts for a Chevy with a tilt column and you might get lucky.

I highly doubt if Quadratec will have column bearings. They aren't that great.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I used this:

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
lgreve
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
It's a GM Saginaw column, so any GM vehicle of the same vintage probably uses the same bearings.

Look up the parts for a Chevy with a tilt column and you might get lucky.

I highly doubt if Quadratec will have column bearings. They aren't that great.
i just did a quick check and they DO have the lower bearings so i would think that they would have the upper bearings but i could be wrong if you are still having trouble finding them i would give them a call and see if they could help you
CHRISTIAN JEEPER #230
lgreve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Got my bearings from the local Autozone. They were able to cross-reference the OEM part#.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Might want to ck this thread for rebuild info you may not have thought of and other rebuild links.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tilt-steering-column-repair-rebuild-564821/
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
afgd1
1984 CJ7 

i was told essentials have then i was also told my 84 cj has ford column
afgd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
PearlRiver
1978 CJ7 

The best thing to do is pull the upper bearing from a 70's -80's GM product - pickups or whatever, they are plentiful - I got mine from a Monte Carlo. It's the exact bearing (they are all Saginaw products). I was hunting the upper bearing but couldn't find it anywhere from the usual parts suppliers. Found one through the local Jeep dealer for $35. Then while at the local Pull A Part the following weekend, I got the same bearing for $2 from the Monte Carlo and took the $35 one back to the dealer.
PearlRiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
pktim23
1984 CJ7 

I found a set at thejeep.com its turner 4wd parts company. I searched high and low. I finally went to the jeep dealer. A 200.00 qoute later I had the part number . Google sent me to those guys. The final cost with shipping was 46.00. A bit on pricey side,but it came with all the hardware to replace the locking mechanism plus upper and lower roller bearings for the top half of the colume.Now I am searching for the instuctions to replace them????? Thanks in advance .
pktim23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
gwolff
1978 CJ7 

Also try Ekler's corvette for parts and part numbers. Then google for best prices on the assembly.
gwolff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 02:02 AM   #12
twildt
1978 CJ5 

1978 cj5
not a tilt steering column.

guys i screwed up, i ripped out my steering system from the steering gear to the steering wheel. after i re-assembled it i have a part left over. its a snap ring. there were two of them. the first one is just under the steering wheel holding on the lock disk or whatever. where does the second one go???
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

I found this one site when I was going through a similar problem with my column. Came across this site. Guy had pictures for step by step taking apart and reassembly down to the ball joint looking thing. Can't seem to find it though. If I come across it I'll get back to you.
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
twildt
1978 CJ5 

Awesome! thats what i need is pics with reassembly!! if you find it that would be great!!
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.