need a breather for my mc2100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need a breather for my mc2100

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 08-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
chucksrustyjeep
1986 CJ7 

need a breather for my mc2100

I have a 1986 cj-7 258I6 that had the Carter BBD p.o.s. carb. I upgraded to the mc2100 and also put a wrangler power brake setup on and now I need a breather that will fit.I would like to run something like a k and n with a cold air setup, but haven't found anything that will bolt right up. Any help would be appreciated.

chucksrustyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

If I remember, my MC2100 had an intake that was the same as a 4-bbl -- that is, about 5-1/8" in diaameter. So just about any air filter that would fit a 4-bbl will work. Measure from the center mounting stud on the carb to the nearest obstruction in order to figure out the diameter needed.

BTW, I'd recommend a regular dry air filter over a K&N. I removed the K&N from my 360 some time ago because it let in too much crap.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you are going to wheel this I whould suggest a stock type breather hole facing backwards. Your fan will sling water and mud into your breather. Not enough to screw up the engine but you will clog the air filter up quickly.
Unread 08-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I made all of my stuff to save the coin
http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum...opic.php?t=109
http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum...opic.php?t=145
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Keep in mind a carburetor is a wet manifold system. Unlike fuel injection, fuel and air is mixed by venturi at the carb/throttle body. If you want a cold air system (or snorkel) you're going to need a plenum like this.

http://knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=85-1060

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
chucksrustyjeep
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the help,guys. I figured I might have to fab something up.Just not sure if the kn plenum would fit and don't wanna drop alot of coin especially if I'm not sure about fitment issues...
chucksrustyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

I got one off the shelf at Advance Auto. I got a little adaptor/riser kit for a few bucks more since mine wouldn't sit flush because of the fuel bowl.

It's little, maybe 6 or 7 inches across and chrome, but it works. I don't do mud much, so I don't worry about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.