need better brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need better brakes

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 07-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

need better brakes

i need some ideas for improving the brakes, it has disk in the front and drums in the rear and no booster. i was going to use some disks that fit the front and make a rear disk kit but the center hole isnt big enough, i would buy a kit but they cost a fortune. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

twinstickd20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Why do you need brakes? These jeeps dont weigh much at all.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

they probably work fine with factory tires, but not so well with 35s
Unread 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
i need some ideas for improving the brakes..
Are you looking for a hardware upgrade, or tips for improving performance with the existing system?

I agree that 35" tires are going to strain the braking system, but I don't see the point of throwing new or recycled hardware 'improvements' at a CJ (or any vehicle), if the existing braking system hasn't already been fixed/adjusted/maintained, especially if you are working with a modest budget.

I'm no brake expert, but I would start with the basics: Check for leaks. Check the brake fluid level. Then bleed the brakes. If the fluid is of an unknown age, you might consider pumping entirely new fluid into it during the bleed procedure.

After that, the next step might be new pads. Of course if you're going to install new pads, then the state of the rotors and calipers comes into play as well. The braking system is, afterall, a system.

Just my 2 cents
Unread 07-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Eh yeah, hmm. I only use the brakes for fast stops and holding my jeep at stops. Other than that I tranny brake. So I dont know what to say.
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

im really trying to decide if i want to add a booster or change the rear drums to disk
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Booster would be easier and cheaper. I have never been a real big fan of rear disc brakes. Just seems weird to me.

What I dont understand is why you say it doesnt stop very good with 35" tires. Many ppl pull their boats and what not with their CJs and dont usually seem to have a problem, other than it has a real short wheel base.
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
mdimmick
1946 CJ2A 

I'm running the following:

-Stock disc brake 30 up front

-Pedal assembly and booster off a '91 Cherokee
-Master Cylinder off a 68 vette (power brake model, has a larger piston)

-Rear calipers off an mid 80's Chevy fullsize truck
-Rear rotors off a mid 90's f-150 (just need to take a touch off the center hole to clear the axle flange)
-Rear brake lines off a mid 80's Chevy fullsize car (Impala, Bel Air, etc)
-Standard Summit Racing adjustable proportioning valve
-Disc brake brackets from Ruff Stuff

I went from two footed braking to being able to lock up the tires as will. Huge difference from the old disc/drum/manual setup.

Hope this helps

~Matt
mdimmick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:31 AM   #9
pazur
1981 CJ7 

Wrangler or XJ* booster will help you a lot if you have oversized tires near 35 size. IMHO I don't understand the above arguments that if it is stock why to change it and check for leaks instead. Sorry guys but I doubt you have ever driven CJ with 35 tires and manual brakes (those who are saying stock setup is OK).

*will need extending main pushrod by some 1", and wrangler spacer which is easy to manufacture if you have no partsyard nearby. + brake flaring work/fittings etc.
pazur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:47 AM   #10
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Go find yourself a 95 YJ booster and leave your rear drums on. That year has a double diaphragm. And it will stop your Jeep and your 35's just fine.
This is what I have on my 77 CJ and it works great!
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

Definitely a booster.No question
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #12
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Just an opinion, mind you;
I currently run 35s with early 5 lug Cherokee Dana 44 rear drums and stock (thick rotor) '81 disks up front; even running a booster the brakes are marginal when trying to bring the Jeep down to a quick stop from interstate speeds.
I suggest 4 wheel disk brakes (there are many junkyard variants, I like GM/Wagoneer backing plates & calipers with scout rotors (front and rear). Either modify the rotor center hole to fit over the rear axle or turn down the rear axle flanges. We have done this several times and gotten exceptional performance, every time (being rear ended during a quick stop is a real concern). Use an adequate master cylinder.
The stock CJ brakes are OK for 33s but I have yet to see good braking performance with stock/near stock brakes and 35s on a CJ.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
josh97
1986 CJ7 

I currently run 35's on my cj5 without power brakes and love it...It holds on hills and stops just fine....I think u might want to try adjusting the rears and checking things over again. I was currently running power brakes on it and switched over to manual i like the feel of manual brakes that are set up right over power...But its just a preferance....
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #14
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

What I am in the process on my CJ-7 is installing rear disc brakes and a booster on the master cylinder. Yes the disc brake kits are high but you can also gather the parts that can be bought from a parts store and do it yourself if you have the ability to fab some brackets and set things up correctly. I think in the end you'll have a much better system in going this way. I had an International Scout that had about the same sytem as the stock CJ and with 36" tires it was a fright to get stopped, much less hold it on a steep hill. In my opinion you need better brakes than factory with 36" tires and you no doubt have a lift and that also has an affect on the performance of your brakes.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What Scottymac62 said.

I had a stock brake system on my 85, with disc/drum. Added the power booster, bracket, and adjustable rod, and now my brakes are perhaps too good! I run 33's. I believe this to be your cheapest solution.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brakes , improvement , performance , cj , disc , drum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.