Need advise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need advise

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
JoeUSMC

Need advise

Well I started a jeep build on my 81 CJ5, but found that the frame is broken. Broken to the point that I would not feel safe puting my kids in it. If I was buillding a strictly off road jeep than it would be different. With that being said, I have found another Jeep that I am wanting to buy and wanted to see what you guys think about it. It is a 78 CJ5, fiberglass tube, full hard top and hard doors. Seems to be all factory, no lift, 232 6 cyl and the guy is not sure on the running gear. It has some wireing issues, not the origional tub on the frame and the owner seems to think it could be bad grounds. He has a new weber carb for it as well. He is asking $2500 for it, im sure I can get it cheaper, have not got to see it yet but it is 200 miles away form me. I am waiting on more pics. I am not worried if it is running or not, and all my parts from my other jeep will work. What do you guys think?

jeep.jpg  
JoeUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Alby63
1982 CJ5 

Doesn't sound bad. The top is worth a third the price and I paid 2500 for my glass body.
Unread 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
JoeUSMC

He sent me some more pics, the passanger side floor has been cut out for some reason. The guy who owns it did not realize it was cut out, or he is trying to hide something. I am not worried about fiberglass because I can get all the stuff i need free from work.
JoeUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
hogbed
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would stay away from that one. It's way too much money for the condition it's in and if you're willing to travel look on Craigslist and you can find a nicer Jeep.
hogbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
gpets
1981 CJ5 

A broken frame is fixable for a lot less $ than a different jeep. I know Quadratec and 4wd are selling weld in patch parts for the CJ frames. I broke my frame just in front of the rear wheels. Wasn't too hard to patch, and is probably stronger now than when it came off the factory floor.
gpets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
AllVolcj7

Any advice on how to tackle rewiring my 82 Cj7, is the painless system worth the $$$?????
AllVolcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllVolcj7 View Post
Any advice on how to tackle rewiring my 82 Cj7, is the painless system worth the $$$?????
What's that have to do with the subject of this thread? Don't hijack a thread with a new question, start your own thread and ask your question there. You'll get better results.
Unread 03-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
What's that have to do with the subject of this thread? Don't hijack a thread with a new question, start your own thread and ask your question there. You'll get better results.
He may not know you can. He just joined recently.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
He may not know you can. He just joined recently.
Which is why I offered him the friendly advice to start a new thread. He'll get a lot more responses if he titles his thread with the question he's asking than he will by putting it here under an unrelated topic. My advice was friendly and will help him get a better result.

Also there is a Forum Rules section which all newcomers should read and become familiar with.
Unread 03-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
AllVolcj7

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I will start my own thread and thanks for the advice.
AllVolcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.