need advice on swapping leaf springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need advice on swapping leaf springs

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-16-2003, 06:36 PM   #1
cjryder

need advice on swapping leaf springs

Well, I spent the whole day just doing the rears, and I am sure it was the hard way.
I had a floor jack under the pumpkin, then let the axle down on jackstands. Then I put a Hi-Lift under the bumper and lifted a few clicks to take the load off the springs. I also attached the new leaf stack at the shackles, then jacked the stack up to the axle. There has to be an easier way!
Also, when I finished, the little stud on top of the axle isn't quite aligned with the hole in the spring stack, thus it is tilting my pinion down. I'll redo this tomorrow, trying to align the holes and studs, but sure could use any advice from someone who knows how.

Unread 06-16-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
rustyCJ

do you have a hi-lift?

the way i always do it is jack up either the front or rear so both tires are just barely above the ground. *place jackstands under the framerails at this point* remove the ubolts so the axle is just sitting ontop of the springs. undo the shackle bolts and lower the jeep just until there is no more weight on the springs and you can remove the shackle bolts from the and remove the spring from the shackle. then just remove the main eye bolt(a lot easier said then done) and drag the spring out from under the axle.

installation is the opposite of removal. you will need to muscle the springs/axle around a lil inorder for it all to line up right and the center pins to go into the spring perches.

hope that made sense.

Last edited by rustyCJ; 06-16-2003 at 09:13 PM..
rustyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
eight

Easier to remove the u-bolts and then jack it up. That makes for no unsprung weight and easier to get the bolts out. Then bolt up the new springs and set it back down untill it hits the spring plate. Use two come-a-longs or ratchet straps to align the spring and axle. One hooked to the axle and a spring hanger or somethin to move it forward/backwards, and the other hooked to the spring pack and then to the frame on the other side, I've always had to pull the spring inwards, never had to push it outwards. If you had to, you could hook one end to the spring pack and the other onto the tire or wheel somehow. I just swapped one today and it took about 30 minutes, and my only tools were a high lift, jack stand, and hand tools. You'll do it much faster next time.
Unread 06-17-2003, 07:01 AM   #4
cjryder

Thanks, RustyCJ and Eight.
I am heading back out there right now.
Unread 06-17-2003, 10:17 AM   #5
rustyCJ

Quote:
Originally posted by eight
Easier to remove the u-bolts and then jack it up. That makes for no unsprung weight and easier to get the bolts out.
can i watch next time you do this? anyone else see a problem doing it this way?
Unread 06-17-2003, 11:19 AM   #6
eight

What, you think the jeep is just gonna jump up off the axle?
Unread 06-17-2003, 12:42 PM   #7
rustyCJ

cause you cant unbolt the axle u-bolts on a sprung under jeep with the weight of the jeep still supported by the axle. the axle actually holds the springs/jeep up when sprung under.

your way might work great if the jeep is SOA but from the way he described the install of his springs i am guessing it isnt.

also, there shouldnt be a pin ontop of the axle and there shouldnt be a hole in the spring pack. there is a centering hole in the spring perch and a spring pack bolt in the springs that should fit inside it. i have had to take the spring bolt out and grind the head down a lil inorder for it to fit in the spring perch hole.
Unread 06-17-2003, 08:43 PM   #8
cjryder

Nailed it!

Thanks to you guys, it was much easier the second time.
The center stud on my spring packs didn't drop in because the hole in the spring perch was too small.
I had to spend a little extra time drilling out the perch, but the new springs are in.
Once I lifted the Jeep and put the stands under the frame rail, there is no problem removing the nuts from the u-bolts.
I had one spring twisted a little, (used) so had to come along and jack it into alignment, during install.
The other problem with used is you have to remove the old bushings. I used a drill, then a sawzall.
Tip for anyqone trying this soon, Once you remove any bolt, u-bolt or shackle, let it soak in solvent while you work. It makes install much easier.
Unread 06-18-2003, 05:04 PM   #9
eight

Oh yea, I forgot that some people have jeeps with the axle on the wrong side of the spring.
Unread 06-18-2003, 06:07 PM   #10
rustyCJ

Quote:
Originally posted by eight
Oh yea, I forgot that some people have jeeps with the axle on the wrong side of the spring.
kids these days

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.