need advice for my shop - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need advice for my shop

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #76
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Here is the panel side.

image-3770856540.jpg  
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #77
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you run all your electric in conduit (PVC under the floor and rigid for the first and last 10 feet) and pull in stranded wire you a able to change anything you want. Add more circuits, make one heavier, move the air compressor somewhere else, etc. using romex and stapling it down means you are starting over.

Depending on the size of your garage buying 3 500 ft rolls of #12 stranded white, black, and green will last you a long time.
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #78
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Not to give u a hard time but since you know code....

In that sub your neutrals should be floating and your grounds should be bonded to the panel, which they are not.

Also you have some mis matched breakers made by different manufactures than the actual panel. While some breakers are rated for installation in other panels some are not..
I may be an electrical inspector, but I don't have to inspect my own work! I wired my shop with leftovers and salvaged materials from other jobs, therefore the mismatched breakers. But hey, everything works! And the ground is bonded to the panel, just can't see it. If I think about it, next time I get up to camp. I'll snap a pic of my panel up there. I did have to get that one inspected by a fellow inspector, so I did it up real nice. Every wire straight as an arrow, and only 90 degree bends no more than 5 times the width of the wire. It was a work of art!
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #79
TKFireman
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Called the inspection office last Monday, said permit would be ready the end of last week or beginning of this week. Called back today and was told maybe by the end of this week. WTF? Does it normally take 3+ weeks to get a permit from the time the application is submitted?
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #80
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFireman View Post
Called the inspection office last Monday, said permit would be ready the end of last week or beginning of this week. Called back today and was told maybe by the end of this week. WTF? Does it normally take 3+ weeks to get a permit from the time the application is submitted?
Up to 30 days sometimes. If they are anything like me, they are swamped with applications right now!
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #81
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Is there some prepping you have to do to the trench before laying in the conduit?

When I ran mine, it was tight against the side of the house and the barn. Now they have pulled away from the wall about 1" on each side.
It's about a 100' foot run.

On a friends house, he ran a conduit from the street to the house for cable if it ever came in that area. Well 20 years later it finally came but the end of the conduit had pulled back about 20" . probably from all the
back fill over it.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #82
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
Is there some prepping you have to do to the trench before laying in the conduit?

When I ran mine, it was tight against the side of the house and the barn. Now they have pulled away from the wall about 1" on each side.
It's about a 100' foot run.

On a friends house, he ran a conduit from the street to the house for cable if it ever came in that area. Well 20 years later it finally came but the end of the conduit had pulled back about 20" . probably from all the
back fill over it.
Interesting it moved like that. It's like the ground flowed away from the house. Or settled........
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #83
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Apex is underwater with all the development at the wal-mart, Hate it but residential is taking a back seat now. If you do decide to use conduit go around some of the jobsites up the road and ask nicely of the non-hispanic folks and you might score some for free. I work in civil engineering inspection and get stuff free all the time, knowing who to ask is the hard part. look for stuff that has weeds growing around it mud stains on it and "sunburned". Then just ask!
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #84
TKFireman
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

I finally have my permit, after waiting for a little over three weeks. Concrete guy said he can start mid May, so I have a couple more weeks before construction begins. Once the concrete is poured, it has to set at least 8-10 days then the building can go up. They say the building will be put up in 1-2 days.

I started collecting some supplies for the electrical side of things. I have wiring, boxes, switches, receptacles, cover plates, connectors, ground rods, 100 amp main breaker square D load center, 6 8' fluorescent T8 lights (4 4' bulbs per light) and a few other things. Been shopping around and looking for water line for my project. I'm debating between the 100psi rated pipe and the 160psi rated pipe. The 160 is obviously more expensive, but may be worth the extra just for a thicker wall. What do ya'll think?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-...m#.UYB0yWLD_bU
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-...m#.UYB1BGLD_bU
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #85
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFireman View Post
I'm debating between the 100psi rated pipe and the 160psi rated pipe. The 160 is obviously more expensive, but may be worth the extra just for a thicker wall. What do ya'll think?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-...m#.UYB0yWLD_bU
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-...m#.UYB1BGLD_bU
I remember you saying your on a well, so you'll probably never have to worry about your water pressure going over 80 PSI. As long as you backfill around the pipe with fine dirt or gravel, and not large chunks of rock, you'll be safe with the thinner stuff.
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #86
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback

I remember you saying your on a well, so you'll probably never have to worry about your water pressure going over 80 PSI. As long as you backfill around the pipe with fine dirt or gravel, and not large chunks of rock, you'll be safe with the thinner stuff.
Rock dust or stone chips.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.