need advice! CJ engine/trans swap or build? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need advice! CJ engine/trans swap or build?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-07-2003, 10:13 PM   #1
jcberm

need advice! CJ engine/trans swap or build?

ok, I have an 81 CJ 7 304 v8 auto trans w/ 1 piece moser in amc20 I do moderate wheeling, mostly desert sand or mountain trails. Here is my delima. My motor needs to be rebuilt so does carb, trans is slipping. I am thinking of swapping in a 258 w/ t55 tranny. I used to have a cj8 w/ that combo and it worked fine for me. Not sure how much horsepower I'm going to give up because the v8 never ran strong since I've had the jeep
.(bad rings)
Does any one have any suggestions, thoughts, Ideas Diiferent motor/trans thoughts for me?
oh yeah, running 33's w/ 3.73's Also looking at a locker in front d30. Thanx in advance!!!

jcberm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2003, 07:00 AM   #2
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

I would keep the V-8, change over to EFI, and if auto replace the trans with a five speed, or just rebuild/replace the auto.

OK so I am a V-8 fan, The six is a good engine, if it is in good condition with a trans I guess it would be a viable solution.

Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
kjc2260

I agree with NnF on keeping the V8. I have the same engine in my '77 that I'm in the process of rebuilding. As far as power goes, here are the specs-1971-1990 258 150 hp@3800rpm, Torque 240 lb. ft.@1800 rpm vs. 1972-1991 AMC V8 150 hp @4200 rpm, torque 245 lb. ft. @2500 rpm. As you can see, they're pretty close and these are stock numbers. I'm just a V8 guy. If you decide to rebuild your V8, I have a brand new 2bl carb I'll sell you cheap. Also, as far as cost, I think you would come out better by fixing what you have and for sure a lot less hassle. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.
kjc2260 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2003, 10:45 PM   #4
eight

I'd keep the V-8 and the auto. The auto and the high geared T176 were the only strong trannys put in jeeps with the d300 t-case. A 304/tf999/d300 sounds like the start of a good drive train to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.