need advice on CJ-5 purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need advice on CJ-5 purchase

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
alx

need advice on CJ-5 purchase

Hi there everyone I am new to the CJ world but I have been looking at a 1980 CJ-5 that is for sale down the street from me. Are there any major problems that i need to look for or know about when buying one.

olympic 4x4 a/t sliders cheap o lights and some other good stuff
no carpet
alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
lil mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx
Hi there everyone I am new to the CJ world but I have been looking at a 1980 CJ-5 that is for sale down the street from me. Are there any major problems that i need to look for or know about when buying one.
I just made a 73 CJ5 purchase and tore it down to the frame within the last month. Problem areas I found was the rear frame crossmember....has some pretty good rot in it. I asked the same question before I made my purchase and was told to take a good look at the shackle areas of the frame, front and rear. Body areas to look at are....well....everywhere I have one bad floorboard spot and the area under the tool box (not sure if all year CJ5's have this or not).

Guess you have to ask yourself what kind of project are you looking for. I bought mine for $500 knowing full well it was going to be a while before going back on the road. I would say if the frame is shot I'd keep looking....as far as the body, there are many options to fixing/patching/repairing. Good luck!!!!! This is the best place to be asking that question!!
lil mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Rockram1

The biggest problem on the 80 CJ5 is the frame at the main eyes. The frame gets a lot of rust in these spots. The front of the rear wheel well where the rollbar mounts to the floor. The rear wheel splashes all kinds of stuff there. Then general rust. If it has carpet or floormats pull them up and look at the floor. If it's carpet my geuss is the floor will be rusted. Good luck
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
bstylee33

Well if your over 6'0" it might be a little tight, because they are kinda small. Im 6'2" and its tight, but two things I did that helped alot was get racing style seats and a smaller grant steering wheel.
bstylee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
alx

thanks for the replies everyone we will see how it goes ill be back with the answer as to if i buy it in about 4 weeks.
olympic 4x4 a/t sliders cheap o lights and some other good stuff
no carpet
alx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.