Need advice - '76 CJ5 Engine/tranny swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need advice - '76 CJ5 Engine/tranny swap

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-20-2002, 12:35 PM   #1
dixiediesel

Need advice - '76 CJ5 Engine/tranny swap

I have a '76 CJ5 with a 304 and 3 speed tranny. I have heard that a Ford 302 will drop right in. True?

My 1st gear synchronizer is shot, so rather than fixing it, I would like to go with a 4 speed.

Considering that I would like to go with the Ford 302, what tranny would you recommend? Can I keep the T-150? What about my transfer case? I am going to do all the work myself, so I'm looking for an answer that is fairly simple, as in not having to change out the whole drive train or welding new motor mounts etc.

Thanks for your time in replying.

Unread 06-21-2002, 07:49 PM   #2
buddhasbomb

what is it with some people.they buy a Jeep and want to put some other motor/trans combo in.the 304 is a better motor than the 302 and its fairly easy to find a 4 speed to go in the thing.
buddhasbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 01:35 PM   #3
dixiediesel

It's not that I don't like the 304, it's just that it's such a hassle to get parts, and there are no aftermarket parts.
Unread 06-26-2002, 09:11 AM   #4
LS1CJ5
1979 CJ5 

The 302 was my first choice also. 1st reason, you can keep your trans. The T150 has the same bolt pattern as the T5 that's behind the FI302. If you want to put your CJ on a serious diet then a 302 is the way to go. Compaired to the all cast iron 304. Oh, it has an aluminium front cover. That's because in the Day, they couldn't cast that thin of iron and have it last. My intake was about 60lb. Then the other major plus. Fuel Injection,, crank and run no matter how ruff or steep the grade. I liked the 304 when I had it but the 360's up have the heads that Flow,, so you don't have to shift at 4500. I got 500 for it. If you don't want to cry then don't look at the HP ratings on those 304's. From 72-81 you have 125 to 130, Torque 220-245, 2bbl & "off-road.com" numbers. To make it worst don't go look at the HP of a stock Civic si. I bought a 99 Corvette LS1. It Idles perfect and Flys. all at 425lbs.
Unread 06-26-2002, 03:44 PM   #5
buddhasbomb

youve just gotta look and you will find.by the way AMC/Jeep was famous for underrating their motors.
buddhasbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 07:29 PM   #6
cjdriver

You sure can put a 302 in there, unfortunately I dont know what combinations of stuff will work. Try <a href="http://www.advanceadapters.com," target="_blank">www.advanceadapters.com,</a> they should be able to help you with everything.

As for the 304, it will never be as easy to modify as the 302 but is not a bad engine at all. You can find headers and quite a few other things for them to fix them up and they make a great engine. You might want to consider just saving the money for conversion and put it toward something else.

But, if you want the 302 go for it. There is no real reason you shouldnt if thats what you want. After all, Jeeps are to have fun and to make our own unique rides, so do it up and dont forget to show us pics when you are done.
Unread 06-28-2002, 12:57 PM   #7
4wheeler4CJ

304s were NOT rated at 125-130! They were "rated" at 150HP, but I can tell you that ratings dont matter.

What was rated at 150HP 30 years ago is much more powerful than what is rated at 150HP today. There are so many variables to HP/Torque Ratings, that you can play with the #s any way you want! These days, the numbers are way off the wall, and it is all for marketing, so people will get a hard-on for the #s and buy the vehicle.

I have a '72 bone stock 360 AMC in my '77 CJ, with a 2-bbl. It has a factory "rating" of 175HP, but I can tell you it'll blow the doors off my '96 XJ with a 4.0L & 190HP "rating".

By the way, how the hell can you even compare a civic? They have menial HP, and NO Torque. HP alone is nothing. You'll find that the AMC motors are a very hefty, durable motor, and offers very respectable torque.

I don't care what people use, personally, but I will always stick with AMC motors, because I love them and it saves a lot of swap Bull****. They are almost completely interchangeable thru the years.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.