need advice ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need advice !

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-27-2002, 09:05 PM   #1
bodi

need advice !

OK, I need some advice. I have a 1983 CJ7 that I bought in December. The owner before me had the T-5 rebuilt along with a new clutch, shackles, water pump, altenator, and starter. He also repainted the jeep dark brown. Not a bad job but there are some very small areas that are beginning to peel. He also herculined the whole inside. He also herculined the gage plate, the glove box, the grab handle and GET THIS he herculined the rear quarter panels and about 4 inches up along the sides. Now I have replaced the engine (had a blown 4 and 6 cyclinder, I have already been asked why I didn't just rebuild but I had a very good friend who was able to get a Jasper cheaper than it would have cost to rebuild) with a jasper 258. I have no idea how bad the floor boards are but after having it up on a lift my local 4X4 mech stated it all looked pretty damn good. I paid $1800 for it so I don't feel bad. I also put in power steering. It has 31's on it which I will replace with new wheels and 31's. The problem is , I hate the look of having the herculiner on the outside body. My long term goal is to repaint it but I will not do that for at least a year or two so I was thinking about getting some armor plating and putting it over the herculiner. What do you think. Overall the jeep is in great shape. Everything in it works, including all the gages,lights and the 4X4. I replaced the engine at 143,000. When we pulled the old one out we tore it down and came to the conclusion that it was not an abused engine so it gives me some comfort to know that this jeep wasn't ragged out. The frame is straight and the top hardware is in great shape. Now that the mechanical condition of the jeep is good I am trying to do some cosmetic stuff to it. I have seen other jeeps with the steel armor plating on it and it looks good. Any advice would be mucho appreciated. I am not new to jeeps, only I have had a couple of yj's and decided I liked the CJ's better so now I got one...besides my wife DIGS cj's and big tires...hell, am i lucky or what. even my 2 year old loves the jeep. Sorry for rambling...Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

83 CJ7 w/remanufactured jasper 258 I6 w/t-5, Weber carb, new exhaust, PS, PB, 2 1/2" Lift, 31" BFG's, herculined interior and s**t brown paint job (for now) "in to deep..but thats when it starts getting fun"
Brown Jeep Club Member #2
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:12 PM   #2
Travis

If you don't like then I would repaint it. I think you can paint over it if you want to keep the protection but hide the herculiner. Not for sure though. Since you are going to repaint it I'm not sure what your delema is. Just sand it off and repaint it. I just finished welding in a new floor and I am getting ready for the herculiner. I'm sure yours was done the same way.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2002, 01:02 PM   #3
junger

Nicee... good choice on going with the CJ instead of a YJ. I have a couple pics of a TJ that had exactly the same thing done. A whole new paint job over it would look pretty cool with the textured bottom... and would be similar to what BMW does. I've also seen some people put diamond plate sides on completely... not just the corners. I might have a couple pics of full diamond plate... if you're interested, give me an email and I could send you a couple pics that I have.

-Josh
junger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2002, 07:04 PM   #4
ooze

Lowes hardware stores carry aluminum diamond plate, not sure about the steel, in various sizes if your wanting to do a homebrewed job.
it's easy to cut on a bandsaw.
ooze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.