Need advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need advice

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire
 
jeepwhore's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 3,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall View Post
Blah, blah, blah! Simple typo! Calling Canada a country would be much worse......
And the award for doosh of the year goes to...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
That's rude, to say the least......
Totally uncalled for!
LG


__________________
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall View Post
Blah, blah, blah! Simple typo! Calling Canada a country would be much worse

And yes, however very unlikely it could be worth 12k. With the details provided knowone could accurately price it including yourself. Why do you think you can price this with the details provided?
Canadians are known to refer to any small SUV as a jeep. Jeeps are cars here, cars are jeeps there. Tomayto tomahto. Telling Canadians apart from Vermonters is quite difficult for most of this country too. And as for being the antiCanadaman, they're not that bad. Just talk funny, eh?
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER
 
BESRK's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 12,274
Without seeing pics and looking at a list of parts/modifications, my gut feeling says $12K is waaaaay too much.

Remember, that $12K in your pocket can be spent anywhere. Unless this guy is a good friend of yours, assume everything he's saying is a potential lie.. he's gonna say whatever he thinks you need to hear to get your $$$.

His version of "lots of interest", could actually be just a few "tire kickers" that called about a CL ad.

Unless he's got detailed receipts, assume everything he says is "rebuilt", is actually "well-worn".

My recommendation is to look at several CJs before stroking any check. The more you look at, the more you'll be able to compare... and ultimately decide on a deal you're comfortable with.
__________________
'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

Ground Pounder Fab


Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
WindKnot
Web Wheeler
 
WindKnot's Avatar
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kaibab Plateau, Northern Arizona
Posts: 2,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall View Post
Blah, blah, blah! Simple typo! Calling Canada a country would be much worse

And yes, however very unlikely it could be worth 12k. With the details provided knowone could accurately price it including yourself. Why do you think you can price this with the details provided?
30+ years of driving Jeeps. Why do you think that someone who doesn't wrench on Jeeps yet has enough experience in estimating a price? Seriously, if you spotted a repaired frame could you determine if it was repaired correctly? Experience goes a ways. There are LOTS of project Jeeps out there. They're not worth nearly as much as most sellers believe they are. COMPLTED Jeeps with documentation an inch deep or more are a different story. (Unless of course you get emotionally involved and MUST have that particular Jeep. If that's the case, just get out the checkbook.)
__________________
I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
Msmall
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
30+ years of driving Jeeps. Why do you think that someone who doesn't wrench on Jeeps yet has enough experience in estimating a price? Seriously, if you spotted a repaired frame could you determine if it was repaired correctly? Experience goes a ways. There are LOTS of project Jeeps out there. They're not worth nearly as much as most sellers believe they are. COMPLTED Jeeps with documentation an inch deep or more are a different story. (Unless of course you get emotionally involved and MUST have that particular Jeep. If that's the case, just get out the checkbook.)
You're missing the point in that I Am Not estimating a price. I was saying that a price couldnt be accuretely estimated because of lack of details. You don't need to wrench on jeeps for 30 years to know when estimating price on anything, not just jeeps a base understanding of the details is required.

So to answer your question "if I saw a repaired frame blah blah blah". I was addressing this one thread. Which doesn't have images of a frame. Therefore was does my skill level in "isolating repaired frames" have to do with anything.

The same fundementals apply to many things.

It's like asking "should I buy this house, or is it to expensive?". You need the details of the house and without them you're just guessing. Where I live this is called "common sense" and 30 years experience isn't required.

And On a side note, I get snapped at often on this forum for being new to jeeps(FYI this is my third)and for not thaving extensive "wrenching" experience and at the end of the day the community of "jeep lovers" should be more excepting and cooperative with the younger generations rather than challenging every thought, question, and opinion they have.
Msmall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #21
Msmall
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
"Calling Canada a country would be much worse"
That's rude, to say the least......
Totally uncalled for!
LG
Was a joke, I joke with my Canadian friends all the time. Didn't mean to insult, but also thought this was a looser forum.

I'll make sure to be politically correct moving forward so feelings aren't hurt.
Msmall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert Palmdale Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall View Post
Was a joke, I joke with my Canadian friends all the time. Didn't mean to insult, but also thought this was a looser forum.

I'll make sure to be politically correct moving forward so feelings aren't hurt.
If you would think before you write. Things would go much better for you.
LG
__________________
Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
WindKnot
Web Wheeler
 
WindKnot's Avatar
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kaibab Plateau, Northern Arizona
Posts: 2,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall View Post
You're missing the point in that I Am Not estimating a price. I was saying that a price couldnt be accuretely estimated because of lack of details. You don't need to wrench on jeeps for 30 years to know when estimating price on anything, not just jeeps a base understanding of the details is required.

So to answer your question "if I saw a repaired frame blah blah blah". I was addressing this one thread. Which doesn't have images of a frame. Therefore was does my skill level in "isolating repaired frames" have to do with anything.

The same fundementals apply to many things.

It's like asking "should I buy this house, or is it to expensive?". You need the details of the house and without them you're just guessing. Where I live this is called "common sense" and 30 years experience isn't required.

And On a side note, I get snapped at often on this forum for being new to jeeps(FYI this is my third)and for not thaving extensive "wrenching" experience and at the end of the day the community of "jeep lovers" should be more excepting and cooperative with the younger generations rather than challenging every thought, question, and opinion they have.
We ARE "excepting" you! Falcon CMH, is that you?

You're getting "snapped at" because of WHAT you're posting, not that you ARE posting. This argumentative post is an example. "Common Sense" isn't all that common; and when it DOES come it's frequently at the expense of at least someone's experience. Common sense AND my experience tell me that someone that hasn't completed his Jeep and is trying to sell it at above market value is asking too much for his project. Oh, I suppose it could be worth $12K, and I guess the sun might not come up tomorrow. But what are the odds?

Everyone who has posted to this thread except you has urged caution to the OP on this Jeep. You're arguing semantics, while we are looking at practicality.

Looking at some of your posts and questions in your threads, experienced and knowledgeable people such as Lumpy Grits have answered your questions and given you a good place to start in diagnosing your trouble. Yet, you don't seem to accept them. Sometimes the answer is NOT to throw money at a problem but to systematically diagnose it. That's hard to do with limited "wrenching" under your belt. I understand that as well as do others. Many of the posters here are more than patient because they understand that all are not skilled mechanics. It just takes time to get there. I urge you to stick around and keep asking questions when you're stumped. Beware though of other posters eager to spend YOUR money to solve a problem or build a Jeep THEY'D LOVE TO HAVE. And I urge you to not be "that guy". We had a guy here who seems to have disappeared lately who was famous for not turning one wrench ever and recommending stuff he'd never used. He'd read up on a product and all the testimonials about it and then start dispensing all kinds of advice on how to use it to people asking for advice. He's since been called on it and he's gone. A lot of us try hard to discourage spending needless money. If you look hard enough, there's all kinds of guys shepherding "newbies" into not going the "wallet route". Some are just curmudgeonly, that's all.
__________________
I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #24
Msmall
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
We ARE "excepting" you! Falcon CMH, is that you?

You're getting "snapped at" because of WHAT you're posting, not that you ARE posting. This argumentative post is an example. "Common Sense" isn't all that common; and when it DOES come it's frequently at the expense of at least someone's experience. Common sense AND my experience tell me that someone that hasn't completed his Jeep and is trying to sell it at above market value is asking too much for his project. Oh, I suppose it could be worth $12K, and I guess the sun might not come up tomorrow. But what are the odds?

Everyone who has posted to this thread except you has urged caution to the OP on this Jeep. You're arguing semantics, while we are looking at practicality.

Looking at some of your posts and questions in your threads, experienced and knowledgeable people such as Lumpy Grits have answered your questions and given you a good place to start in diagnosing your trouble. Yet, you don't seem to accept them. Sometimes the answer is NOT to throw money at a problem but to systematically diagnose it. That's hard to do with limited "wrenching" under your belt. I understand that as well as do others. Many of the posters here are more than patient because they understand that all are not skilled mechanics. It just takes time to get there. I urge you to stick around and keep asking questions when you're stumped. Beware though of other posters eager to spend YOUR money to solve a problem or build a Jeep THEY'D LOVE TO HAVE. And I urge you to not be "that guy". We had a guy here who seems to have disappeared lately who was famous for not turning one wrench ever and recommending stuff he'd never used. He'd read up on a product and all the testimonials about it and then start dispensing all kinds of advice on how to use it to people asking for advice. He's since been called on it and he's gone. A lot of us try hard to discourage spending needless money. If you look hard enough, there's all kinds of guys shepherding "newbies" into not going the "wallet route". Some are just curmudgeonly, that's all.
I get your point.

Fyi...If you look back at my original post on this thread I certainly was advising caution as well. I have a feeling you may have just saw my second.
Msmall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #25
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert Palmdale Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 5,110
We can READ..........
Your post was an INSULT! PERIOD!!
You ask a question, and then YOU dispute the answer.
Your on your own...
Grow-up some, too.
LG
__________________
Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
Msmall
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
We can READ..........
Your post was an INSULT! PERIOD!!
You ask a question, and then YOU dispute the answer.
Your on your own...
Grow-up some, too.
LG
How do suggest I reconcile that comment? I truly didn't mean to deeply insult anyone. In retrospect I see how it could be taken as insulting. The comment was made in humor, and I see now it was a poor attempt.
Msmall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert Palmdale Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 5,110
It's obvious to ALL......That you never, even thought about an apology, TILL NOW!
You became very defensive when your SA and insulting comments were pointed out. That is a true, and very telling sign, of your very low level of maturity.
Only time will tell......
LG
__________________
Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
Jeeper44mag
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 206
Ease up LG. It was a joke and he apologized.

Luis
__________________
Had: '75CJ5 (back when they still made them), '76CJ7, '99 TJ.
Have: Metallic Silver '78 CJ7 Golden Eagle, 304 V8, ps., pb., A/C, ~3" Lift, 12.5"x33"x15 BFG AT's., T150/Dana20, Dana30/AMC20, 4.56 gearing, white hardtop.
Jeeper44mag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,230
Can we get back on topic and quit bickering please?
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #30
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler
 
BagusJeep's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bali, Indonesia
Posts: 4,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
It's obvious to ALL......That you never, even thought about an apology, TILL NOW!
You became very defensive when your SA and insulting comments were pointed out. That is a true, and very telling sign, of your very low level of maturity.
Only time will tell......
LG
Lighten up LG, it was a silly comment about Canada that could have been said on a late night comedy show.
__________________
BagusJeep lives in Bali, the Land of Temples.
With a Jeep every prayer counts.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.