Need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need advice

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
texdc

Need advice

I recently found a 1983 CJ7 project jeep already started. The price is $12k. Very clean body with no rust...grarage kept. It has a SB 350 and an AX-15 transmission with a Dana 300 transfer case. Everything in the engine compartment is new! Already been lifted and redone underneath. Besides minor cosmetics to interior and the need of a paint job, this CJ is nice! my question is $12k reasonable price. Trying to find a project that isn't a full time job has been hard. I'm looking at this as something I can finish and get it where it needs to be! Any advice will be appreciated...

DCD

texdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

$12K would be expensive for a completed Jeep.

Many guys start modding or restoring their Jeep and then get burned out and try to sell it. Unfortunately, you almost never get out of your Jeep what you put into it.

Do you know the seller or the guy doing the work? Buying a used Jeep is either a project, or a matter of trust. $12K is a LOT of money. That frame had better be perfect and there'd better not be even a spot of rust. It needs to be closely examined for that kind of money. Can you do that? Do you know where to check? In all seriousness, do you know quality work and know which products are quality and which are average, at best? Don't be lured by shiny paint. If you answered "no" to ANY of these questions, bring a long someone who doesn't want to buy a Jeep and knows were to look.

$12K is a lot of money. You want to buy a Jeep. The seller has to buy that Jeep.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
texdc

WK,
Exactly...I hear what your preaching. He has a lot of interest on this jeep, or he says. The problem is I'm leaving town on vacation and I'm scared of putting earnest money on something which I haven't taken in and have someone give it a really good once over...i.e. engine and tranny along with the body. I mean I can crawl all over the thing on my own and miss something a diagnostic test or a good paint and body man might find. I was leery of the Line-X sprayed floor...wondered what was underneath!?!? I would feel like an a$$ if I ended up walking away from the deal $2k short because something was glaringly wrong with the project. Thanks for the input, I think I'll wait and see...if its there when I get home maybe I'll jump on it!?!?

DCD
texdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
HMS
1983 CJ7 

$12,000 is way to much for an unfinished project like that. The guy is scamming you if he says he has a lot if interest. Check Ebay, autotraderonline and craigslist for comparisons. Don't jump too quick.
HMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I hear you, it is a straight CJ and you want to end up with a good one and are willing to work on it. If you want to buy it think of :-

- Unfinished, non-running projects are hard to shift.
- The time and effort and money you will need to put into it
- How much it will be worth when finished. 12k would be top whack when finished if done very well.
- It is modified, do you want those mods? Will a buyer want them when you sell it?
- Plenty of early 80s CJs around with SBC and lifts, it is not unique or collectable.

I am not saying do not buy it, project Jeeps are often very rewarding. Just that the price is unattractive and $3k would be nearer the mark.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

12k is high, I just picked mine up for 8k(new frame, newer paint, completely rust free). Do you have a link or pics?

Paint is expensive!

Are you sure it's a new 350 and not rebuilt.

For 12k I'd expect a complete jeep with records. At that price point I may also expect efi, upgraded disc brake around, hard doors, multiple tops, and some other upgrades. I'm newer to jells but follow the value closely and am yet to see a 12k project jeep. With paint and small fixes you could have 15k into real fast
Msmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

$6k would be about right.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I should also add that in my experience sellers of projects often start by thinking how much they have spent on it and want you to bail them out. The logic is that you would need to spend just as much as they have so somehow they are doing you a favour to allow you to buy it from them without the work they put into it.

After a while it dawns that no one is interested in bailing them out and they can either cut their losses or finish the project. As they have already given up they almost invariably cut their losses but will moan on about how the parts are all new, how many dollars were spent etc.

Be kind, be blunt, take it away so he can move on in his life!!! Next year you may see an old boat in his garage being "worked on".

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
I should also add that in my experience sellers of projects often start by thinking how much they have spent on it and want you to bail them out. The logic is that you would need to spend just as much as they have so somehow they are doing you a favour to allow you to buy it from them without the work they put into it.

After a while it dawns that no one is interested in bailing them out and they can either cut their losses or finish the project. As they have already given up they almost invariably cut their losses but will moan on about how the parts are all new, how many dollars were spent etc.

Be kind, be blunt, take it away so he can move on in his life!!! Next year you may see an old boat in his garage being "worked on".
X2....without pics and additional info it is impossible to get a n accurate value. A couple guys said 3-6k. But it may be worth 12k or more. It may be worth what a parts car is worth.

We need photos or a link to all the details.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall View Post
X2....without pics and additional info it is impossible to get a n accurate value. A couple guys said 3-6k. But it may be worth 12k or more. It may be worth what a parts car is worth.

We need photos or a link to all the details.
No. It's not a completed project. Right now it is an incredibly heavy paperweight. If the project was COMPLETED and the drivetrain was DOCUMENTED to be new, it MIGHT be worth the money. It's not painted. (Think $2-3K) The interior isn't completed. Go price just ONE seat and get back to me. The seller is claiming near perfection, not a MAACO and seat cover job. The hard part MAY be over, but NOT $12Ks worth.

And a Jeep is NOT a car. Calling a Jeep a car is about as close to blasphemy as you can get.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep

X3

Well said sir.
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
jhughes2013
1977 CJ7 

My daily driver is in better condition with corvette motor for less than 10k...
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Plenty of other 'fish' in the 'sea'. Don't hook this one.......
LG
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post

And a Jeep is NOT a car. Calling a Jeep a car is about as close to blasphemy as you can get.
Blah, blah, blah! Simple typo! Calling Canada a country would be much worse

And yes, however very unlikely it could be worth 12k. With the details provided knowone could accurately price it including yourself. Why do you think you can price this with the details provided?
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

"Calling Canada a country would be much worse"
That's rude, to say the least......
Totally uncalled for!
LG

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.