need advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need advice

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

It's a good idea to re weld if you know what you are doing with a welder. If you plan to drive this thing daily on the road and have never driven a welded diff vehicle before prepare yourself for altering your driving style.

Be prepared to replace your tires WAY sooner than you wanted to as well.

RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Yeah I am a good welder but instead of re-welding it I am gonna take this opportunity to convince my wife it's un fixable and go and get a limited slip put it I found a friend of a friend that can do it for 700 including parts and labor an I know he's good he has his own shop and builds rear ends for street and strip cars. Oh and I decided on a limited slip in rear because I will be on the road at least half of the time and don't wanna burn thru tires super fast
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #18
scrappycj5
1976 CJ5 

You can get a powertrax locker which is limited slip, for around $400 and maybe even cheaper. This friend of a friend is charging you too much. You can do it yourself, pretty easy and it will replace the damaged spiders in your dana 44.
As far as welded spiders go, if its a crappy weld and pcs of the weld fall off while driving it will grenade everything in the housing. So make sure everything is tight. Driving around on welded spiders is an advanture going around corners especially. Be very careful on wet roads.
scrappycj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

I really like the sound of that and the reviews arent bad at all I'm gonna try it thank you now ill be able to get her back on the road shortly
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck and sorry to hear the PO lied about the Detroit locker. Did you ever find what ratio you have? often it is stamped on the ring gear itself so that is an option as well.

700 for limited slip is too much as stated before me. You can do an elocker for almost that price. I have also heard good things about the Detroit True Trac.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipe007 View Post
Good luck and sorry to hear the PO lied about the Detroit locker. Did you ever find what ratio you have? often it is stamped on the ring gear itself so that is an option as well.

700 for limited slip is too much as stated before me. You can do an elocker for almost that price. I have also heard good things about the Detroit True Trac.
See his other thread here.
SLO_Ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #22
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link!
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.