Need 1980 CJ5 Stock Shackles front and rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need 1980 CJ5 Stock Shackles front and rear

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 03-13-2002, 08:48 PM   #1
scottahicks

Need 1980 CJ5 Stock Shackles front and rear

Hey I have a serious problem,, I just got my first jeep 1980 cj5 304 V8 ,, and unfortunatly I bought a nightmare under the impression it was it great shape. anyway I need a full set of stock shackles, CHEAP!!!! I am being eaten alive with trying to fix all thease problems and one is the realy bad realy long shackle lift that is making my poor jeep eat u joints,,,, on my 3rd ujoint in 3 weeks yes its that bad, i dont know how this guy drove this thing regularly anyways PLEASE someone help me im desperate,, this is my daily driver and ONLY vehicle now

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2002, 10:09 PM   #2
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Hey, I feel your pain! I always can find things wrong with any vehicle, even a NEW one on the dealers lot...

As for a quick shackle fix, just drill a new set of holes in one end of your long ones. I am not sure what the distance from hole to hole is, but if you need to know someone can run out and measure a set on their Jeep!

And as for U-joints, they are NOT all created equal! Go to NAPA and ask for their "Heavy Duty" version, or if you can find a "Spicer" dealer buy one of theirs.

Good luck!

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2002, 12:30 AM   #3
scottahicks

thanks for the idea but the lift shackles on mine have multiple cross bar supports that prohibit that idea

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
Unread 03-17-2002, 10:42 PM   #4
scottahicks

Problem solved ,, and would you belive I solved it with new lift shackles???? ok heres what I did I went to pep boys and found a generic shackle lift kit like for a hot rod, there are four holes in each shackle plate one intended as the main and 3 on the botom to adjust as you choose your ride height,, and wouldent you know it the spacing between the outer two of the botom 3 is exactly the same as a stock jeep shackle, and the entire length of the whole shacle is well ove double that,, so the soloution ,, buy one shackle kit for 15.00 and go home, cut the shackles in half with the angle grinder you just have to have if you have a jeep, copy the bolt holes on the halfs that end up with only one hole with a 1/2 in drill bit and NOW you have a total of 4 complete shackles because you use the center hole and the bolts they give you in the kit as a stabalizer bar for the shackle,, it was a little work but 15.00 and my problem is solved

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.