Natural Gas CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Natural Gas CJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
Davethewaveman
1983 CJ7 

Natural Gas CJ

Hey guys, wanted to see if anyone else had their CJ`s set up to run natural gas. I use it about 80% of the time and switch over to gasoline when I need the extra 10% of power for whatever reason or because I ran out of Natural Gas. Have a 10 cubic meter tank behind the back seat in my CJ7. It will take me about 45 miles on a tank.

I`ve seen other Jeeps with two small tanks on either side of the drive train, but I didn`t want to lose any clearance for 4-Wheeling.

Who else is set up with Natural Gas??

Davethewaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I tried propane for a while but went back to injection (gasoline); It was just easier to keep it fueled with a single fuel. Gas (LNG or propane) has a lot of advantages off road (especially over carburettors, not so many over injection) but it was just to much hassle for me to keep 2 fuels on board and full. (Not to mention the space lost to a second tank).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
m2rtin
1986 CJ7 

What advantages does gas have, Joe?
m2rtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
CSP

Propane (natural gas is rare to find in the US) is in a gaseous state, so it won't flood like a carburetor will.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) is very common on fleet vehicles and bus fleets in the US. The majority of DC's city buses run on it. I guess it's never been pushed much for public use for whatever reason, but it seems that it must work very well for it to be used so broadly.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
CSP

Just another alternative fuel that we don't take advantage of in the US. We hear that the government is looking into options, but until the oil companies stop lining the pockets of people in office, we'll never see it happen.

Look at the lack of CNG filling stations in the US, just as an example. The use in fleet vehicles does prove that it's cost effective and a cleaner alternative.

About.com: http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/natural_gas_locations.html
Unread 10-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Davethewaveman
1983 CJ7 

It`s also alot more cost-effective (I get about 2x as many miles on a buck as I do on gasoline) and releases alot less CO2...
Unread 10-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
What advantages does gas have
Nearly instant starts,
much cleaner burning,
virtually no oil dilution (lasts much longer, less engine wear),
no flooding under heavy bouncing or at very extreme angles,
better octane rating (allowing higher compression ratios and more spark advance).

In almost every way it is a better fuel, but it is harder to find places to fill up and you don't get as many miles per fill (tank size dependent).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
m2rtin
1986 CJ7 

ok, that's good news!, but let me ask something little out of the toppic:
What about E85, do I have to have a conversion kit on my 258 jeep carb to fill it with this?
m2rtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Davethewaveman
1983 CJ7 

REALLY?? No one else has a Jeep running on Natural Gas here on the forum?? I was gonna start a club and everything...
Unread 10-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
CSP

Like Pathkiller and I said, it's not used much in the US outside of vehicle fleets, and that's where the majority of users of this board is from.

You might find a few on propane, but not CNG.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.