mystery squeak under load - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > mystery squeak under load

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 04-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
GAchoptop
1977 CJ7 

mystery squeak under load

Need a little help here - don't want to go replacing stuff until it's fixed. Here's the problem - I get a squeak whenever I make my 77 CJ go using the engine, in other words when coasting or braking it doesn't squeak (its an automatic;q-trak). Seems to be speed related (pitch changes with speed though when I get past 45 can't hear it most likely because of road noise) Can't really tell where its coming from at first I thought bearings (even though braking didn't make the squeak go away) so re packed just to make sure. no help. now thinking u-joints-- but before replacing all four and two in the axle wanted to get some suggestions of other things it might be or how to narrow it down to which u-joint. any suggestions?

GAchoptop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
heepzilla
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you dont have the hubs locked in and it makes this noise it has to be the rear drive shaft.
Unread 04-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
GAchoptop
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heepzilla View Post
If you dont have the hubs locked in and it makes this noise it has to be the rear drive shaft.
'preciate the fast reply - it's full time 4-wheel drive Q-Trak transfer case. No hubs and from what I understand I'll kill the cones in the Q-trak if I remove either drive shaft and try to run in 2-wheel.
GAchoptop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.