Mysterious Shutoff!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mysterious Shutoff!!!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
jeeperscrepers
1979 CJ7 

Mysterious Shutoff!!!

Ok, I have replaced the Resistor, Distributor Cap, Rotor Button, Plugs, Ignition Coil, and Starter Selinoid. What am I missing??? Next, I am planning on taking it to my mechanic and having him replace the pick-up in the distributor. I am at a loss as to why I continue having this shut-off problem. I will be going down the road and it just shuts off and starts right back up. Does this at idle as well as under way.

My jeep is a 79 CJ7 with an In-line 6, 258 engine. Anyone else had this problem and found the issue or any one that can offer anymore suggestions as to where to look?

jeeperscrepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I had the same issue when I first got my CJ, it turns out in the wire harness just above the steering collum there was a wire that had been cut and was exposed, when you hit a bump, the offending wire would ground against the firewall and kill the engine. The way I found it was pure luck, I turned the shop lights out after working on it for a few hours and was headed out the door, I walked past the jeep on my way out and started it once more (don't know why, I just did) as it started to idle I stepped out of it and moved the JEEP just enough to see a flash from up front and it died. I called the wife into the shop and had her start it, I rocked it really hard and sure enough I saw the flash again. I found the wire and capped it and it hasn't done it since.

Good luck on yours.

Tom

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
jeeperscrepers
1979 CJ7 

Ok, about three weeks ago replaced the Distributor and it seemed to have fixed my shutoff problem. But, Sunday, Mother's Day, it reared its ugly head again. I am at a loss, could it just be that the distributor pick-up went bad in the new distributor? I am guessing a lose wire, bad wire, ignition mod...I don't know...but it is driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 05-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Dislsmoke
1985 CJ7 

I had that problem with my 258, the ignition module would overheat and the jeep would shut off, after it was cool it would start up again. I would try the ignition module on the fender, I think there are a bunch of write ups on it. But I also kept having problems after that with new modules. Finally just went to a HEI, but that is a whole different topic.

Custom Dashs built to your specs dbldfab@gmail.com
website. http://sites.google.com/site/doubledfab/
Dislsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
OldSkull
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperscrepers View Post
Ok, about three weeks ago replaced the Distributor and it seemed to have fixed my shutoff problem. But, Sunday, Mother's Day, it reared its ugly head again. I am at a loss, could it just be that the distributor pick-up went bad in the new distributor? I am guessing a lose wire, bad wire, ignition mod...I don't know...but it is driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!
I had the same thing. It would die and start up fast enough to churp the tires. It was the wire to the tachometer. since it is in line with the ignition somehow, it was just loose enough to die and restart on the slightest bump. I had the cover off the steering column one day and squeesed the wire connector as I was driving just for the hell of it and ...that was it. Got lots of new (unneeded)parts out of that one.
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Intermittent electrical problems are some of the hardest to troubleshoot. You need to trace out the ignition power & groiund circuits in an attempt to find the intermittent open in the system. As described in the previous posts you most likely have a loose power or ground connection.

Try to gain easy access to the circuits and start moving things while the engine is running.

Good Luck...........
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

A bad ignition module will give those symptoms.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
OldSkull
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
A bad ignition module will give those symptoms.
Mike,
Have you had any experience with a module that tested good at the parts store but still caused intermittent problems? I have similar issues.

I was going to suggest the OP get his module tested, but it might not matter if it tested okay anyway, right?
Unread 05-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkull View Post
Mike,
Have you had any experience with a module that tested good at the parts store but still caused intermittent problems? I have similar issues.

I was going to suggest the OP get his module tested, but it might not matter if it tested okay anyway, right?
Yes, many times. They work fine until they reach a certain temperature, then they up and die. I have seen quite a few brand new out of the box do this also. Wells brand ones come more often dead out of the box than working.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 05-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
Torxhead
1986 CJ7 

I believe the N.A.P.A. Echlin brand makes the best ICM. Its always nice to have a spare, even with an H.E.I. The good stuff always comes with a matching price tag. Just like the MSD ignition. Ground out the black wire coming from the ICM, it will last longer.
Torxhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
jeeperscrepers
1979 CJ7 

Thanks! I had the ignition mod tested and the guy tested over and over to heat it up with each test passing. BUT! Could it be this simple??? I decided to change the gas cap because the rubber gasket had dried out a bit and torn. This was Saturday and it hasn't done it since, not saying it is fixed but I will take the two days of running seemlessly!
Unread 05-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

Mine was my PO installed Electric fuel pump.... I switched everything back to manual and have had no trouble since....

I let it idle in the driveway until it finally shut off then pulled my gas line into a bucket and no gas.....

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperscrepers View Post
Thanks! I had the ignition mod tested and the guy tested over and over to heat it up with each test passing. BUT! Could it be this simple??? I decided to change the gas cap because the rubber gasket had dried out a bit and torn. This was Saturday and it hasn't done it since, not saying it is fixed but I will take the two days of running seemlessly!
The gas tank does need to be vented. The vent is the charcoal canister and it has a $2.00 air filter on it's bottom that when plugged with dirt puts a vacuum on the gas tank which will cause stalls and bogs. Not usually at idle though.
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepican View Post
Mine was my PO installed Electric fuel pump.... I switched everything back to manual and have had no trouble since....

I let it idle in the driveway until it finally shut off then pulled my gas line into a bucket and no gas.....
The CJ rubber gas lines that connect the tank and pump up to the steel lines go 'bad' in the modern mix they call gas these days. They crack and can let the line vaporlock. It is a suction line so it doesn't usually drip on the ground, it just leaves a stain on the line so a good visual check is in order.
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
AlbertGaines
1980 CJ7 

I also have been having ignition (I think) shutoff issues. Shuts off after running for some time. Starts off with a small hickup then gets worse and will shut off. Can restart after some effort and may run fine for a few minutes. Will not show problems in the driveway after getting it home and trying to find the issue.
After it cools off it will start and not show any signs of the problem until some period of driving time.

Acts like Ignition Module.
I have replaced the Iginition Module 3 times, Coil, ignition switch, manual fuel pump, put in a new distributor last night. I hope it is the pickup getting hot and maybe being saturated and sending a bad signal back to the IGM.
The pickup was $20 the rebuilt distributor was $60, so I replaced entire distributor.
Keeping fingers crossed.
AlbertGaines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dies , electrical , shut off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.