My steering wheel isnt right - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Sounds like there may be a difference between the tilt and non tilt then, mines non tilt and 77. I am in the same boat. It seems like I have to tear into mine every year when I fail safety inspection for either the horn or turn signals. I finally replaced the turn signal switch last year as compared to cleaning the contacts again. Maybe I will finally not have to tear into it for a few years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 04-01-2017, 05:30 PM
BigMac1979
1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james04si View Post
The splines for the steering wheel are not indexed, the splines that the lock plate go on is. The lock plate has slotted holes that the horn button goes through. There is slight adjustment. Maybe 20* but like in my situation not even close to enough since my wheel has been 90* off for the past 10 years caused when I replaced my steering box.
James04si - Were you ever able to get your steering wheel straight. I replaced my steering gear box and shaft and now I can't get my steering wheel straight. I've adjusted the drag link (like I did to get it straight before I replaced the gear box) but it's fully adjusted and the rod end and tie end are literally touching each other so I have no more adjustment. It's about 2 turns (of the drag link) shy of being straight. Any thoughts? Cut 1/2" off the end of the rod? Adjusting the steering wheel isn't an option...tried that too.
Attached Thumbnails
J1 - 1.jpg   J1 - 1 (1).jpg   J1 - 1 (2).jpg  
post #18 of 28 Old 04-01-2017, 05:44 PM
james04si

1977 CJ5 

As long ago as this post is, I still haven't done it yet. Wonder if you go the opposite direction if there is still enough threads to hold it together?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

post #19 of 28 Old 04-01-2017, 06:05 PM
BigMac1979
1979 CJ5 

Garage
I guess if I pulled the pitman arm moved it 90 degrees and unthreaded both the tie and rod ends all the way out I would get the same result. I'm at a loss, I didn't rotate the gear at all on the box before I installed the pitman arm and the shaft. Wonder if that's an option? Decouple the shaft and use the pitman arm from the tie rod and move it a little bit and then hook everything back up?
post #20 of 28 Old 04-01-2017, 08:08 PM
1985 CJ7 

WRONG! You shouldn't need to pull it until . . .

If you remove the steering wheel, you will notice a factory NOTCH/GROOVE on the spline. That NOTCH needs to be at TDC. This ensures the steering wheel is STRAIGHT. Then go underneath where the collar is, and the pitman arm should be sitting at 90 degrees (straight front to rear). There is also a NOTCH on the steering box spline that should be at TDC in parallel to the steering wheel NOTCH. If it is not, then adjust it to where the pitman arm and the notch at steering wheel are at TDC. Once you align that, you should be fine. If the notches DO NOT ALIGN at this time, then you remove the pitman arm and re-adjust to that NOTCH (90 degrees). Adjusting the collar should get you there without issues because that pitman arm was factory set. So adjust it to where you have an equal amount of threads on both sides of that collar and check the NOTCHES at steering wheel and pitman arm. Once you understand what I mean, you can accomplish this on your own. Regards
post #21 of 28 Old 04-01-2017, 08:29 PM
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac1979 View Post
James04si - Were you ever able to get your steering wheel straight. I replaced my steering gear box and shaft and now I can't get my steering wheel straight. I've adjusted the drag link (like I did to get it straight before I replaced the gear box) but it's fully adjusted and the rod end and tie end are literally touching each other so I have no more adjustment. It's about 2 turns (of the drag link) shy of being straight. Any thoughts? Cut 1/2" off the end of the rod? Adjusting the steering wheel isn't an option...tried that too.
Loosen that collar and spin it to where there is an equal amount of threading on both sides. Then check the NOTCH at pitman arm and steering box. (TDC?). Check the NOTCH/GROOVE on steering wheel spline (TDC?). Place steering wheel in correct position.
post #22 of 28 Old 04-01-2017, 08:39 PM
BigMac1979
1979 CJ5 

Garage
258 - Thanks for the advice. I didn't adjust the steering box spline at all when I installed it so it should still be good but I'll verify tomorrow. I don't recall seeing a notch though, just the 4 key slots. But, I'll double check and I'll pull the steering wheel off tomorrow and re-verify that it's still TDC as well. The collar did have equal threading on both sides until I adjusted it to get the steering wheel to line up. It originally was 90 degrees off but the adjustment only got me to what you see in the picture. I'll try what you recommended and check back with pictures. Thank you again.
post #23 of 28 Old 04-07-2017, 04:08 PM
BigMac1979
1979 CJ5 

Garage
Ok. I've checked the alignment of the steering wheel. Below are pictures of the steering wheel exactly centered (3 turns right to left then backed it off 1 1/2 turns and this put it dead center). However, the notch on the steering wheel spline is NOT centered. The pitman arm is straight (I could not find a notch on the splines of the gear box) and the wheels are straight. Do I need to adjust the steering wheel spline somehow?? Not sure as it seems the steering shaft wouldn't align properly on the two ends if I did. But, I'm asking?? I can not move my steering wheel as it's got a set position due to the horn with no real play. Any ideas.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5571.jpg   IMG_5572.jpg   IMG_5573.jpg   IMG_5574.jpg   IMG_5575.jpg  

post #24 of 28 Old 04-07-2017, 07:58 PM
1985 CJ7 

Cj

So, the NOTCH is there from factory as a reference mark to help with alignment positions of the column and your steering wheel. Your pretty darn close. If you have already had it aligned and it drives straight, you can leave it. HOWEVER, if you're like me and something like this bugs you to where you drive miles into the forest/desert/beach to scream in madness, LOL . . . then you need to set the NOTCH to TDC for sanity. It will haunt you every time you grab your steering wheel knowing that under the horn button, IT'S OFF, LMAO!.

Seriously though, maybe at some point the bearings on the column shaft were replaced and the column itself was reset a few splines off. This could explain the NOTCH being off a tad since your pitman arm is dead straight. You can simply pull the column and move it over 2-3 splines. I don't remember if it has a special groove for placement or not, but your pitman looks pretty straight in the images. I got lucky on mine because the notch went TDC by simply rotating the coupler several rotations which landed my pitman arm dead straight. So, from get go when mine was aligned, it centered the mark. I do need to pull the shaft and replace those bearings however. I have them waiting to be installed. Still recovering from surgery because of TWO tears in my left rotator cuff.
post #25 of 28 Old 04-07-2017, 08:14 PM
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Any chance you removed or replaced the lower steering shaft bearing. Believe it or not there are two ways to install it both are 180 degrees out and just that little bit made a huge difference when I was chasing my steering gremlin. Iirc, the locking bolt on the lower shady should be on the opposite side from the locking bolt on the upper part of the steering shaft. Easy to check.

Scott
84 CJ7 258, 2150 TFI nuttered 2" shackle lift 33's
70 Jeepster Commando 225 HEI 3spd 2" lift
post #26 of 28 Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 PM
BigMac1979
1979 CJ5 

Garage
ScottyDive - I looked at that on another thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/st...93/index3.html
and saw that fixed his. But, I have a new steering shaft with u-joints at both ends and so you can't rotate the coupler 180 degrees.

258 - Yeah, thought I had a tear in my right one but they ended up just shaving the bone back in November. Hurts worst now than before the surgery. Not fun!! I did find a way to fix the steering spoke alignment though. As I put it back on for the 3rd time I tried nudging it a couple splines on the shaft. This then broke off the plastic horn piece that sticks through the steering wheel. Walla...steering wheel spoke is now at 6:00!! Not the right way, but the horn didn't work anyway and I'll fix it when I take the body off the frame and get everything else done. For now, the spokes are true and the jeep goes straight. Bazaar though, it was straight before the new steering gear went on and had room on the drag link too.

Tomorrow - New 2.5" BDS suspension and Crabtree shackles go on. That steering wheel was bugging me so much I couldn't do it until it got sorted...sort of. :-)
post #27 of 28 Old 04-07-2017, 10:20 PM
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac1979 View Post
ScottyDive - I looked at that on another thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/st...93/index3.html
and saw that fixed his. But, I have a new steering shaft with u-joints at both ends and so you can't rotate the coupler 180 degrees.

258 - Yeah, thought I had a tear in my right one but they ended up just shaving the bone back in November. Hurts worst now than before the surgery. Not fun!! I did find a way to fix the steering spoke alignment though. As I put it back on for the 3rd time I tried nudging it a couple splines on the shaft. This then broke off the plastic horn piece that sticks through the steering wheel. Walla...steering wheel spoke is now at 6:00!! Not the right way, but the horn didn't work anyway and I'll fix it when I take the body off the frame and get everything else done. For now, the spokes are true and the jeep goes straight. Bazaar though, it was straight before the new steering gear went on and had room on the drag link too.

Tomorrow - New 2.5" BDS suspension and Crabtree shackles go on. That steering wheel was bugging me so much I couldn't do it until it got sorted...sort of. :-)
. . . This then broke off the plastic horn piece that sticks through the steering wheel. . . . Go figure, right? I would have drilled the hole in the column adaptor wider to make the plastic button fit. Oh well, you might want to simply buy a clown horn for now and mount it to the side mirror, lol. This should relieve some of your frustration and put humor back into the equation. Yeah, seems odd; like digging a dirt hole. The dirt just never goes all the way back into it.

On the shoulder; completely torn tendons in front and back. Had no idea it was as bad. I just thought I was getting old, arthritis or something. I couldn't even open a peanut butter jar or hold a coffee mug without my arm just dropping in pain. So all my Jeep repair projects and more got left in disarray because I couldn't function without major pain. Now, I have a brand new shoulder; hardware and all, and my PT has been coming along just fine. Have a long way to go but had a great surgeon (Ortho-surgeon for L.A. Dodgers) who has made me a true believer in modern day surgical procedures. For that I am grateful!
post #28 of 28 Old 04-08-2017, 06:07 AM
BigMac1979
1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
. . . This then broke off the plastic horn piece that sticks through the steering wheel. . . . Go figure, right? I would have drilled the hole in the column adaptor wider to make the plastic button fit. Oh well, you might want to simply buy a clown horn for now and mount it to the side mirror, lol....

On the shoulder; completely torn tendons in front and back. Had no idea it was as bad. I just thought I was getting old, arthritis or something. I couldn't even open a peanut butter jar or hold a coffee mug without my arm just dropping in pain. So all my Jeep repair projects and more got left in disarray because I couldn't function without major pain. Now, I have a brand new shoulder; hardware and all, and my PT has been coming along just fine. Have a long way to go but had a great surgeon (Ortho-surgeon for L.A. Dodgers) who has made me a true believer in modern day surgical procedures. For that I am grateful!
Well, good news is that my horn didn't work anyway even after trying to repair it once before so I already have a push button horn so it's a win.

My MRI showed a complete through thickness tear. When they got in there though everything was fine, just massive fluid build up. They shaved 1/8 of inch of bone off though as it had developed a hook that would eventually tear the tendon. Not a lot of blood flow in the shoulder so it doesn't heal very quickly, especially bone. But, we'll see what they say when I go back. I just power through and use my other arm to torque things down on the jeep or body positioning. Getting the new steering box in and bolted by myself was FUN!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.