My steering wheel isnt right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My steering wheel isnt right

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

My steering wheel isnt right

When I drive a strait line down the road, my steering wheel is turned about 20 degrees the left. The steering is tight, and works fine, its just weird. I don't need a big project right now, but it bugs me enough that I want it fixed. What is involved in straitening it out?

wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Jawbox

First of all, you should try to see if the wheel isn't on straight, or if it is misaligned. Take the wheel, crank all the way left, then start cranking right and count the revolutions. Take half of that and find the midpoint turn the wheel by that amount and see if the wheel sits straight or not.

If the wheel sits straight at the midpoint, then it's going to be adjustments in the suspension. If the wheel sits crooked, you can rent or buy a steering wheel puller and straighten the wheel so it sits right at the midpoint... then recheck the alignment.
Jawbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
PFS

1984 CJ7 

That's a good way to check where the problem is, but as I recall from the last time I did this (about 25 years ago, so forgive me if I'm wrong), you need to adjust the wheel angle at the steering box. You can't pull the steering wheel and reset it to the right angle because of a little post (for the horn contact I think) that comes through where the steering wheel mates to the column.
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
mrott
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As long as the wheel itself is on straight, it's a matter of adjusting the drag link. There's an adjustable sleeve that you can tighten or loosen which will turn the wheel left or right and will allow you to recenter it. When I last did mine it took 15 minutes or so and would have been even faster if I had someone else to watch the wheel while I adjusted the drag link.
mrott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
PFS

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrott View Post
As long as the wheel itself is on straight, it's a matter of adjusting the drag link. There's an adjustable sleeve that you can tighten or loosen which will turn the wheel left or right and will allow you to recenter it. When I last did mine it took 15 minutes or so and would have been even faster if I had someone else to watch the wheel while I adjusted the drag link.
Yep. That sounds right! My wheel is actually a bit crooked too. This refresher will motivate me to fix it...along with the damn blinker that doesn't cancel itself.
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
PERK
1983 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...wheel-1529152/

this from the wj board but, I think you'll get the point
PERK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
Yep. That sounds right! My wheel is actually a bit crooked too. This refresher will motivate me to fix it...along with the damn blinker that doesn't cancel itself.
Takes five minutes to fix. The blinker cancel...that's a bit more involved Definitely worth it, was one of the first things I had to do when I brought my CJ home.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrott View Post
As long as the wheel itself is on straight, it's a matter of adjusting the drag link. There's an adjustable sleeve that you can tighten or loosen which will turn the wheel left or right and will allow you to recenter it.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
mrott
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Coiz.

There's the image for what you need to adjust. There are 2 bolts to loosen (13 mm if memory serves correctly), and you only need to loosen them a little to allow the sleeve to rotate. I used a stubby flat head screw driver in the slot of the sleeve to help rotate the sleeve. Vice grips work too but I didn't feel like biting into the paint with the vice grips. Set the wheels straight (so your steering wheel is now crooked) then adjust the sleeve until the steering wheel is straight. Re-tighten the two bolts on the sleeve and you're done.
mrott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
CSP

Be sure that the column isn't locked (key in the on position) when you try to adjust the drag link. Being a CJ, I'd like to think the nuts are 1/2", not 13mm.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
james04si

1977 CJ5 

There might be enough adjustment by pulling the wheel for only 20*. The lockplate that holds the horn button down is slotted and will allow for minor adjustments. Mines off 90* so there is no chance for that and it doesn't bother me so I'm too lazy to correct it using the drag link.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

It worked. Less than 15 minutes. Thanks for the tip about unlocking the wheel.
wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The steering wheel is mounted on an indexed spline. Can only go on one way.
Make note of the clamp bolt position in the picture. Keep'em like that.
You may need to soak the drag link with penetrant oil to get it to rotate.
LG
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
The steering wheel is mounted on an indexed spline. Can only go on one way.
Make note of the clamp bolt position in the picture. Keep'em like that.
You may need to soak the drag link with penetrant oil to get it to rotate.
LG
The splines for the steering wheel are not indexed, the splines that the lock plate go on is. The lock plate has slotted holes that the horn button goes through. There is slight adjustment. Maybe 20* but like in my situation not even close to enough since my wheel has been 90* off for the past 10 years caused when I replaced my steering box.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The splines on my '85 OEM tilt column are index spine. I have had the s'wheel off to many times in the last 28 Yrs.
IIRC, same for my son's '79 CJ-5.
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.