My Safari/bikini hardtop idea - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My Safari/bikini hardtop idea

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

My Safari/bikini hardtop idea

So heres something ive been thinking about for a while. For nowuntil the weather breaks im gonna leave it long but eventually thiss summer I want to cut it down to bikini length. Also I have plans to change the mounting arrangements to use clasps up front(like a convertible car) and either mount it to the rollbar using fence type gate hinges(i was a fence man there are many types). Also have the thought of using toolbox drwer sliders on a hings to release the front and lift it up then slide it down along the sport bar. I may also add a sunroof. Im just playing with the idea now. But at the very least I want to cut it to bikin length make side cloths fron jean denim and a rear window. They will all roll up to the lid and stow up there then when the weather turns they are right there. No hardware bows or anything just the lid and the cloth.

For now though it keeps the rain and snow out. Ive had 3 systems come through including freezing rain and my seats are dry.

Also ill throw a couple shots of my home made bumper/hitch/hi-lift mount/ tire carrier extension and brace. Since I just finished it.

100_0023.jpg   100_0024.jpg   100_0025.jpg   100_0026.jpg   100_0027.jpg  

100_0028.jpg  
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Good Idea! If you had a family roll cage, I'll bet you could use the entire length of top. Did you cut down a CJ5 of CJ7 hard top for this project? God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

A family cage would work, but Ive had a hankering for a fastback top for years now, so when I do cage it I think it will be built using the sport style. And that was a very trashed cj7 top i save from a dumpster of a nearby jeep shop. Cj5 tops are typically made from unobtainium which can only be cut with adamantium so that was out of the option.
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Uncledale
1966 CJ5 

With that nice factory roll bar, you could add a windjammer onto the roll bar to close in the back. If you are moving the weather will just pass over the Jeep. Before my windjammer, my back was wet alot.
Uncledale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Ive thought about a windjammer, Im planning on using roll bar padding, probably more like huffy handle bar padding to close up the gap above the doors A windjammer would be an option, but i still would like to make sides and a rear window for it that would hook on the lid like a softtop would to the winshield, and then lash with eyelets down to loofs on the body. That way I have string ready tgo tie em when i Want to roll them up to the lid.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.