my power steering bracket broke, now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > my power steering bracket broke, now what?

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 10-13-2002, 05:07 PM   #1
onesojourner

my power steering bracket broke, now what?

http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0MgD...PzPeg/pump.JPG

http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0NwD...1ngA/pump2.JPG

should i just go to an auto parts store and buy a new one or do i need a beefier one since i'm running 35's? thanks for your help.

i think if you copy and paste the pics it will work...

Last edited by onesojourner; 10-13-2002 at 06:13 PM..
onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 05:34 PM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Dude

Can't see your pics, but like the first rule of Jeeping is that breaking stuff is just an excuse to upgrade. IMHO, always upgrade - esp. a known weak part, like a CJ steering box mount.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 10:52 PM   #3
CSP

Bracket for what? Pump bracket or box bracket? I'll assume box bracket since you mention 35's. In either case no auto parts store is going to have one. You're either stuck with a stock replacement from a Jeep mail order catalog, a beefier aftermarket bracket, or a junkyard replacement.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 10:44 PM   #4
55-willys

they make a brace for the problem you are having. a friend of mine had the sa ing happen. the brace clamps around the steering box just above the pitman arm and braces over to the other frame rail with a big piece of pipe. something that a guy could make up, if he had a few tools. you can check the internet and see the piece im talking about and copy it.
Unread 10-17-2002, 09:55 AM   #5
onesojourner

i dont think we are talking about the same thing. im talking about the bracket that holds the pump onto the block.
onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 12:48 PM   #6
55-willys

sorry about that. thought you ment the box bracket.
Unread 10-17-2002, 07:36 PM   #7
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by onesojourner
i dont think we are talking about the same thing. im talking about the bracket that holds the pump onto the block.
Don't bother paying the new prices .. if you have a welder, buzz it back together. If you don't have a welder, visit your nearest auto-wrecker and pull a bracket off of a similar motor.

If you have the V8 engine, any Chrysler/Dodge/AMC/etc V8 engine's bracket from 304, 318, 360, .... would match right up. Save the bux .. spend it on something you really want
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.