My Nutter Experience. Praise Nutter (and Luckycheesehead)! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My Nutter Experience. Praise Nutter (and Luckycheesehead)!

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Sixcarbs

My Nutter Experience. Praise Nutter (and Luckycheesehead)!

Hello fellow CJ'ers, just wanted to share my Nutter experience.

My 85 CJ-7 was having idle issues, missing issues, and loss of power issues. My mechanic (on this tiny island I live on) suggested a new carb, then I learned about the Nutter bypass.

I brought him the Luckycheesehead instructions from this site and he got it done. Woohoo!

The first 40 miles it felt like a new ride, I couldn't believe it. But then it started bogging down again under load. But the idle was still great. My uneducated guess was I really did need a new carb or the new vacuum advance was leaking.

Today I went to the store to buy some carb cleaner. I noticed and grabbed a bottle of STP carb cleaner and poured that in the fuel tank right away. That seemed to instantly help, or maybe it was just a coincidence.

Anyway, got home, took the air cleaner assembly off, gave it a good cleaning, taped up the "T" where the Nutter vacuum advance was spliced into the vacuum line, and shotgun sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner down the throat of the carb. (I don't profess to really know what I am doing.) I also put in a fresh air cleaner filter

The result.....AWESOME! It's better than when I left the shop yesterday. It hauls up hills without losing power or missing. The throttle response is instant.

I drive daily on dirt roads they could test lunar buggies on. I also have to drive up some curved, dirt hills to get home. I don't need to off road, my life is off road. I suspect I will have to learn to clean the carb on a regular basis.

Thank you Mr. Nutter, Luckycheesehead and the rest of Jeep Forum.

Sixcarbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

I've heard of the Nutter Bypass before............send me the directions you mentioned when you get a chance.
Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
Military Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Jeeper View Post
I've heard of the Nutter Bypass before............send me the directions you mentioned when you get a chance.
It is a way to make the computer controlled engines run like yours is already set up so it can't help you.

Here is the link anyway, it has vacuum setup info also:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Nutter
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

I have done the bypass twice and both times it made a real difference in the way the CJ's ran. A real improvement.
Bubba Ray is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.