My new Toy, custom 258 questions - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My new Toy, custom 258 questions

Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #46
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

Okay.... just got off the phone with Howell. First thing I would like to say is that the tech guy I spoke too, didn't seem very happy to get a call, lol. But that's okay, because he had some good insight.

The cam issue: He said "no problem, we'll just have to burn you a custom prom to go with your stock cam, no charge, but when you order, you have to physically call and explain it again. Do not try to order online."

The Clifford issue: Was all about heat dissipation. "The Clifford header dissipates a lot of heat and won't reach the 600 degrees to keep the computer in closed loop, we would add the heated O2 upgrade for $60."

I'm completely relieved right now, thanks for putting out that fire and some good information for anyone who may be looking later on down the road.

Unread 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #47
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Yes, a junkyard purchased MPFI. I know what you're thinking - it may not be reliable. But they're easy to rebuild, parts are readily available, so the only advantage you get with purchasing a kit is a little sticker that says you're legal in states like California and parts of Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado.

Junkyard sounds trashy, but they clean up well and you save a lot if you don't live in an area where there are strict emissions laws.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #48
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Clifford is going to charge you $60 for a heated O2 upgrade?

1) You'll need to put the O2 bung past their headers for proper readings - that way it's reading all 6 ports, not just one. There is no need for them to do anything to the headers. Did you mean Howell suggested the heated O2 upgrade? See below.

2) This requires a heated O2 sensor from Howell, i.e. their California kit. I did this with mine, the CA kit is a couple hundred dollars more, a little more if you ask for both the CA chip and the chip that they spec for Clifford products. Either chip runs fine with the Howell, it learns either set up and emissions-wise the differences are negligible.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #49
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

Yes, the "Clifford Issue" was stated by Howell..... Howell saying that I would need the heated OČ upgrade. Which is a big relief.

Like you said, I'm going to have to put the OČ bung where it can read from all 6 ports, after a y-pipe as the Clifford Headers comes out into two separate ports. Thats okay, I can stomach that. I was just a little upset by the statement of "nope, won't run, can't be done".

I appreciate the suggestion of finding some junkyard parts and doing it for a whole lot cheaper, but I'm just stubborn and have it already built up in my head. On another jeep, maybe a mud toy or a rock crawler I will definitely do it that way. But this one I have specific plans for. Besides, having all the parts slowly come together for this is actually keeping me sane over here and something to look forward to.

I was actually telling myself the other day "damn, I wish this was a different jeep, cause I would absolutely hit the junkyard and make it a lot easier" (that's actually almost verbatim what I told myself, before I started to get some back talk).

Random inquiry. Would an OČ sensor do okay mounted in the middle of an X-pipe?
Unread 10-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #50
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

Quick minor update. I go home on vacation in 3 days.....

I emailed Clifford and asked if they had received any intakes yet from the casting company. YES!!!! He shipped it out the same day and it will be there waiting for me when I get home.

So now...... There's actually a chance that when I put in this engine while I'm at home, I may actually be able to drive it a little bit for the last week =)

I'll be starting a build thread for it, just to let everyone follow along.

Correction on the intake: The correct part number is 47-4520, this is for the 90's 4.0 head. I asked him if there was a difference (if I could just use the 47-4500). There is a difference and it's actually a complete different casting mold. So.... Now we know, and knowing is half the battle.
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #51
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

Thought i'd update this and kick off a "New Question".

A lot and not much has happened. I am back in Iraq and have been for a while now, but I'm trying to round up some more parts for the build. With that.... comes research.

The only pic I have is of the new house (garage). I have installed the Clifford intake... Clifford Exhaust.... Howell TBI..... alternator.... and some random other minor components.
garage-engine.jpg

I just pulled the trigger towards Summit and ordered the entire ignitions system. After many considerations I finally went with:

jeep-ignition-parts-msd.jpg

::::The NEW QUESTION:::::::

I'm trying to figure out the radiator and the electric fan. I found a good idea to incorporate a new thermostat housing from a 4.0 like the picture below. I don't like the fan controllers that use the "probe" that you stab through the cooling fins, so this will probably have to be wired to some relays, that are in turn wired to the electric fan.

4.0-jeep-thermostat-housing-temperature-switch-mount.jpg

The radiator, I think I've made up my mind on this one from Summit, all aluminum, crossflow.... and also has a transmission cooler (I have an automatic).

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/part...0489/overview/
radiator.jpg

Now...... What the heck fan(s) do I use.... with a shroud of course. I just can't seem to find one that is written in crayon that says "yes... this one fits".
I've read about dual fans from a Ford Contour..... Fans from a billion companies..... but just keep spinning my head around. Any info, would be greatly appreciated

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.