My new Toy, custom 258 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My new Toy, custom 258 questions

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

My new Toy, custom 258 questions

Here's my new '83, CJ-7 I picked up while I was home on vacation.

258 eng, Automatic trans.

I am currently in Baghdad, Iraq and the Jeep went to a mechanic on my last day at home. I am having him pull the engine, send it to be rebuilt, then reinstall the engine.

Everything I put on this baby will be brand new and set up to last a long time. Spare no expenses but I'm not getting stupid with it. This is will be EXACTLY how I want it, no questions asked.

Although I do have some questions, hehehehe.

Seeing as how the engine will be "brand new", what is the best setup for intake/carb that I should order. I've been looking at the offenhauser/clifford intakes and possibly a 390 carb. Any insight? suggestions? It's already "nuttered", ignition upgrade yada yada yada .... emissions are out the door (that's how it came). I want this to be a my daily driver that also will be in "show" condition, so everything is going to be "sexy" on it.

I don't care if I have to send parts out for powdercoat, machining and whatnot because I work overseas year round. Technically I have plenty of time.

Please, if you know how I can build this 258 in the cleanest, most reliable, sexiest way possible.... I'm interested. She's my baby.

ipad-woods-100.jpg   first-day.jpg   ipad-woods-102.jpg  
3e73j73n45n15lf5g8d37f294a49ccdee1487.jpg

3e43k43n75gd5e75kfd37790ef5d876d51296.jpg

Unread 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

It really will all come down to what you use the Jeep for. As you posted it's going to be a DD and you're replacing stuff with best you can get. As a thought since your pulling the 258, why not think about dropping in some thing feul injected?

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Yeah yeah yeah - 4.0 head swap with MPFI!!

Avoid Clifford at all costs. They sell junk.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

X2 on mpfi!!!!! Love mine.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Yeah, you've already got the F/I manifold; which is probably horrible with a carb on it

Shawn
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Clifford doesn't produce junk. Having said that, go with the fuel injection.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Another vote for fuel injection...I went with the MOPAR kit made by Hesco, the BEST upgrade I have done, especially as a DD, the reliability is second to none...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

I went w a junkyard mpfi. Was much easier than anticipated. And only $400 bucks
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Clifford doesn't produce junk. Having said that, go with the fuel injection.
I'm going to respectfully disagree, WindKnot. I've had two intake manifolds from them. Both came with poorly-patched internal jacket cracks, one of them from the factory, the other likely from the factory. Both leaked coolant and I ended up taking both to the scrap yard for about $20 when Clifford refused to take them back. To be fair, the first was on my Scram when I bought it, and I didn't realize at the time why the PO had routed the hoses to avoid the mani until I hooked them up correctly. The second sat in my garage for over a year before I could install it. Ran poorly and I disassembled only to find coolant pooling in the mani and then pulled it and put in an OEM manifold.

As far as their exhaust manifolds, I went from a two-port mani to a one-port mani; the collector butted up against the oil pan (I've read this same thing happening to others on this forum after I installed). My exhaust guy had to flame the ceramic-coated pipes and bend them to get it to sit properly without butting against the pan, virtually negating any value of the ceramic coating. The two-port mani crossed over to the passenger side under the oil pan, making removal of the pan and servicing of the RMS damn near impossible without completely removing both the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Neither was worth any added expense over OEM equipment, and in the end OEM was the best choice for me when emissions laws went into effect in the county.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

If it was me and no expense spared, I would build a 4.0 (or get a new longblock) and swap it in. As much as I love my 258, for increased mileage and reliability, I think the 4.0 would be the better option. Either way, go fuel injection.

For the debate on Clifford, never had an issue with the intake manifold I purchased from them some 7 or 8 years ago. Just my 2 cents
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

Well... I need to put the whole Fuel Injection to rest. This will be an "antique" and in show condition. Which means to the naked eye, nothing will seem too extremely out of the ordinary. Besides..... when I look for parts down the road, I don't want to have to go to the parts store with a list of 10 different vehicles that my parts are frankensteined from.

My family is big on old cars and there is no way I could proudly roll around in a classic with a Fuel injection and get away with it...... or is there? Hmm..... Damn you guys.

I guess it would depend on how clean it could appear. This sounds stuck up.... but... if it's trashy, it's not going in or around my Jeep. I've been building this in my head for 15 years and the only thing left to figure out is the engine.

Other than fuel injection (which I wouldn't trust someone to custom install for me), any other ideas?

Unless there is an easy install fuel injection system that doesn't require any junkyard parts. There will be NOT ONE junkyard part on this..... not this one. The main reason is, I'm not there to do it myself, so the only parts I want to put on it, are the parts I can order and deliver to "my" mechanic.... brand new.
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

Dammit, I'm actually thinking of the MPFI.....

Anyone have some good information on where to get it? All I'm finding are junkyard builds. I'm looking for a brand new kit.

Something about a Mopar kit?

I don't know... I need to resolve this very fast, the engine is almost out of the shop but I need them to port match parts that I don't have yet.
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

The Mopar kits can be had all over the place, usually in the $2500 range. You could go TBI which would look closer to stock once the air cleaner was installed. They can be a DIY kit or buy one ready to go for $1600-ish. Both options are better than stock for driveability, economy and reliability.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

That's a pretty good point that the throttle body would be more hidden than the MPFI...... Man, this is turning out to be a roller coaster to try to figure out which way to go.

I just got word that the engine is back from the shop and ready to drop in.... This ticks me off because I was under the impression that they were going to contact me with estimates and options first.

But... here goes. I am now leaning towards a Throttle Body setup, for the facts that I can't find a MPFI that states it's for Automatic, seems as though all the kits are for Manual transmission then I'll be left on my own to figure out the linkage for the kickdown. I also don't want a franken-harness of wires.

Sheesh, I'm not even the one doing the work and this is stressful. Maybe I'll start a "build page" but have to call it a "being BUILT FOR ME IN DISCOMFORT" page (yes, the CAPs was me yelling in my head).

TBI it is.... now to decide on that setup. Argh.
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Thank you for your service, !
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.