My new jeep has Two fuel pumps and a bad fuel gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My new jeep has Two fuel pumps and a bad fuel gauge

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
musclenut
1982 CJ7 

My new jeep has Two fuel pumps and a bad fuel gauge

My new cj came with a few fuel issues. The P.O. put a new poly tank and sending unit on it. He said the fuel gauge hasn't worked since. He also had to install an electric fuel pump afterwards because the fuel line seemed to loose prime and was hard to start. This jeep has a mechanical and a electric fuel pump. Is that bad? I have noticed the fuel line fitting that attaches to the mechanical pump weeps gas. I replaced the line but still leaks. I think the fuel pump fitting is damaged. Could this leak be the reason why the PO installed the electric pump? It runs great right now! Thanks!

musclenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

as for the fuel gauge:
http://street2mud.com/webfiles/Basic...J%20gauges.pdf

sorry I don't know much about fuel pumps...
but if for some reason my fuel pump wasn't working right I wouldn't cobble together like that I'd go ahead and fix it, or upgrade.
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
musclenut
1982 CJ7 

Thanks Dudman, that's a great link. I'm having to reverse engineer every thing that's been done to this jeep to fix it correctly.
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclenut View Post
I'm having to reverse engineer every thing that's been done to this jeep to fix it correctly.
Ain't we all!

Check all the rubber hoses and make sure that they are in good shape and securely fastened.

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

also, ethanol fuel eats the older rubber lines from the inside out. If you have an electric pump, bypass the mech pump,the return line to the tank from your fuel filter will return the excess to the tank from the electric,or u could get a pressure regulator if you want.I don't have one now. There's no need for two pumps,choose one and go with it also make sure your filter is oriented like this,and the tank is vented properly to prevent a vacuum in the tank.If the vent line on the filter is not on the top,it will cause the "fuel line seemed to lose prime" issue.If he replaced the gauge sending unit, he may have bought one of the garbage replacement units flooding the market and its bad,or he likely didn't rework the ground properly
fuel-filter-orientation.jpg  
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
musclenut
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordwrench View Post
also, ethanol fuel eats the older rubber lines from the inside out. If you have an electric pump, bypass the mech pump,the return line to the tank from your fuel filter will return the excess to the tank from the electric,or u could get a pressure regulator if you want.I don't have one now. There's no need for two pumps,choose one and go with it also make sure your filter is oriented like this,and the tank is vented properly to prevent a vacuum in the tank.If the vent line on the filter is not on the top,it will cause the "fuel line seemed to lose prime" issue.If he replaced the gauge sending unit, he may have bought one of the garbage replacement units flooding the market and its bad,or he likely didn't rework the ground properly
I went out and looked at my fuel filter it's upside down. The PO mentioned something about a wire on the sending unit he didn't hook up. He thought it might be a ground.

Which is better a mechanical or electric fuel pump? One thing I don't like about the electric is if you turn your key on for lights or radio it's humming under the hood.
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

when u turn ur key on,ur also working on burning up the ignition module and/or coil. mine came with the electric,i dont see the point on a stock motor,it ran fine on mechanical all these years. an electric needs to run through an oil pressure switch as well,so it doesnt run unless the engine is turning,which will keep it from pumping gasoline onto you and the family in a post accident fire.
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.