My New CJ7 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM
SKT
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis77Cj

IMO the patina is super cool just because you don't see to many sporting the original paint.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryCJ7

Here are some more pic's of the paint.....
Oh yeah, that paint is totally ready to get freshened up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejon

I agree. The old patina makes for a very unique look. A satin clear over the top.
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
I think there's a difference between "patina" and surface rust. That looks like the latter to me. I would not recommend spraying over surface rust.

You better get to that windshield frame and cowl seal quickly, before it becomes a real problem.

Good luck.

Matt
There are a ton of success stories put there where the paint was a lot worse than the OP's.

Here are a few non-Jeep links that I think the before and after CLR treatment pics speaks for itself:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...0460&showall=1

http://lowbus.com/BB/index.php?topic=335.90

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh.../post/1712505/

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/16-po...hem-up-19.html

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/29-pr...-toast-59.html

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie....php?p=3956199

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=555935

1981 CJ-7: Fresh 304, NV4500, Twin Stick Dana 300, Dual Tops, 33" Mud Terrains, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
hillcountryCJ7
1984 CJ7 

SKT-
I know what I'm doing this weekend....CLR bath!
thanks!
post #33 of 48 Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 AM
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Love the color! great find...

1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains

post #34 of 48 Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
hillcountryCJ7
1984 CJ7 

CLR works.
Will post pictures tomorrow.
post #35 of 48 Old 02-23-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
hillcountryCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
Love the color! great find...
Thanks mvigo. Right back at ya! Nice jeep.
post #36 of 48 Old 02-24-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
hillcountryCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Here are the pictures after the CLR bath....made a huge difference.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG   photo2.JPG   photo3.JPG  
post #37 of 48 Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM
SKT
2013 JK Wrangler 

Looks great!

Did you use an SOS pad too?

I haven't owned a vehicle that needed the CLR treatment yet, but have read that it can take a long time and a lot of elbow grease.

Curious if you did it quick, or if you invested some time into this process?

I really like that patina, and think it would make for an awesome CJ if the driveline was fresh/reliable and the paint was left as-is!

1981 CJ-7: Fresh 304, NV4500, Twin Stick Dana 300, Dual Tops, 33" Mud Terrains, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 48 Old 02-24-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
hillcountryCJ7
1984 CJ7 

SKT-
It actually went really quick..way faster than I thought...the rust came right off....I actually started out using a too rough of a pad and went to a non-scratch pad.

I want to say the driveline is fresh and reliable...it only has 45K miles on it...
post #39 of 48 Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 PM
SKT
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
SKT-
It actually went really quick..way faster than I thought...the rust came right off....I actually started out using a too rough of a pad and went to a non-scratch pad.

I want to say the driveline is fresh and reliable...it only has 45K miles on it...

I forgot your '7 had such low miles, so yep, I'd say that it is still fresh!

I've owned a lot of CJ's, but am very envious of your great find here! This one would certainly be a keeper in my book!

Since it has such low miles, the only thing I'd personally do besides drive/enjoy it would be:

1. Wire brush then rattle can the frame, axles and suspension.

2. Replace the foggy windshield and reflectors or lights if they are showing their age.

3. Paint or powder-coat the bumpers and mirrors.

These two before and after pictures really shows the great results you achieved from the CLR:

image-2391218983.jpg

image-363754416.jpg

That windshield frame turned out looking great too!

post #40 of 48 Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
hillcountryCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Thanks SKT.
I'm going to take your advice on painting the frame & suspension. I plan on replacing most if not all cosmetic items.
My thoughts were if I do replace any parts on this Jeep that I keep the original parts with it
One thing that I can't decide on is to replace the 4cyl or not.
If you we're to replace the power plant and driveline what would it be?

Let me just say, I don't plan on using this Jeep for anything more than light to moderate trail\highway use. Right now I use it on my deer lease and quick errand runs on the weekend.
post #41 of 48 Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The CLR bath made a big difference, but I still think that tub should be preserved with new paint.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Matt

post #42 of 48 Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 AM
SKT
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I plan on replacing most if not all cosmetic items.
My thoughts were if I do replace any parts on this Jeep that I keep the original parts with it.

One thing that I can't decide on is to replace the 4cyl or not. If you we're to replace the power plant and driveline what would it be?

Let me just say, I don't plan on using this Jeep for anything more than light to moderate trail\highway use. Right now I use it on my deer lease and quick errand runs on the weekend.
Since you said this was your first CJ, keep in mind that most of the aftermarket companies quality, fit and finish are not nearly as good as the OEM parts for parts like: mirrors, interior pieces, etc.

If you haven't seen Ken's thread yet, it is a very good one to read and use as a reference for the future. He addresses almost every issue you'll ever have with a CJ, and captures it in very detailed write-ups:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ke...hread-1040550/

As for the engine: My last several CJ's have all been V-8's; however, I have did own one 4 cylinder CJ. I recall trying to 'kill' that engine, so I could swap it out, and that 4 banger would not die. It certainly was no powerhouse, but it would take whatever I threw at it.

I think for my next CJ that's in need of an engine swap, I'm going to seriously consider a 4.0L. Like the reliability, potential to stroke it, fuel injection, gas mileage, etc.

Here is another great thread, which a daily driven original paint Scrambler has a 4.0L swap:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/scrambler-dd-1299859/

post #43 of 48 Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
hillcountryCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I just checked the rear end (dana 20) stamp and its an "A", from what I have seen that's a 3.54.
So, my question is, with 31" tires, a 4cyl, 4 speed and that rear end, is 50mph normal top speed? Or, am I just babying it too much?
post #44 of 48 Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

i would say 50 mph is just fine, not worry about going faster, and enjoy the ride. I say this because they were not made to go fast and frankly I have always been scared to go faster than 50 mph, for my safety as well as the jeep's safety lol

Only in America do you have the God given right to be loudly opinionated about something that you are completly ignorant of.
post #45 of 48 Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 AM
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Personally, I'd fix any leaks, lights, and broken/damaged items and enjoy the drive. You have found what most of us would love to have. If its gonna be a drive around Fredericksburg vehicle run errands or head to the deer lease, I wouldn't do much else.

For everyone else, the Texas hill country is quite dry and arid, so rust is not a great issue. No snow, no salt, bit even much mud. I could see that rig, with a satin clear over the top of the paint as a great candidate for use as a movie car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.