My new CJ rebuild thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My new CJ rebuild thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #61
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_CMH
So far I found one article online that says no to the Dana 44 TTB axle.
Add me to the no list on the TTB.

Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #62
Falcon_CMH

OK how about these babies:
3/4 ton FORD dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear axles with 4.10 gears, they look real clean and beefy, are Dana 70 axles hard to find parts/seals/etc. for?
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #63
ffisher55
1979 CJ5 

Hi. I've been looking for a v-belt 2 groove ps pump pulley (1 large, 1 small for an emission pump), like in your pictures. Would you consider swapping with me for a single groove version?

Thanks,
Frank
ffisher55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #64
Falcon_CMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffisher55 View Post
Hi. I've been looking for a v-belt 2 groove ps pump pulley (1 large, 1 small for an emission pump), like in your pictures. Would you consider swapping with me for a single groove version?

Thanks,
Frank
Well I might consider swapping but I was considering adding air conditioning and being the Noob I am I have no idea if I need that extra pully can anyone answer that for me? And what is that pully for anyway?
Unread 10-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #65
ffisher55
1979 CJ5 

As far as I know, the pulley is used on applications with an emissions pump and possibly a snow plow setup. The a/c comp goes on the other side of the engine.

Frank
ffisher55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #66
Falcon_CMH

Have you seen these: http://www.cvfracing.com/AMC-Jeep-Wa...-p/amcl2wp.htm

Would they work for you?

I just am not comfortable with swaping a part I know little to nothing about. I guess ignorance breeds fear.

I saw a double pulley on the alternator using two belts to that pulley in a 304 pic and I was wondering if stock mine came that way and I need to add a belt?
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #67
Falcon_CMH

OK I have a line on this:

14 bolt heavy duty full floating rear axle
Dana 44 full floating front axle

From a 1974 Chevy Suburban camper special full time 4WD

What do you guys think?
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #68
Falcon_CMH

Also I have a line on a 06 Jeep Wrangler stock suspension parts (replaced with a lift kit) for cheap $100. How hard is a it to convert a CJ-7 leaf spring setup to this Wrangler spring setup?
Unread 10-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #69
Falcon_CMH

Video of my CJ-7 (The AMC 304 with an oversized CAM is sweet music to my ears)
Unread 10-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #70
Falcon_CMH

Temp and oil pressure warm, hit gas oil is at 60-65 75 top if you stand on it, temp stayed at 190 idle by end of video love the new fran shround was like ~260 before idle for that long ambient ~65
img_3325.gif
Cockpit
img_3326.gif
Drivers side
img_3328.gif
Passengers side
img_3329.gif
Back
img_3330.gif
Unread 10-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #71
Falcon_CMH

Front
img_3331.gif
My humble tool set, air tools too
img_3332.gif
My daughter's go cart the family built together 6.5 Hp
img_3333.gif
The monster 1/2" Impact wrench I needed to replace the rear main bearing seal. I tighted one bearing bolt with my ingersol rand on accident and had to go big to get it off
img_3334.gif
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #72
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Charles, thanks for posting this thread! Keep up the good work. I to have just recently acquired a 80 model cj7. I will have to do a lot of the same things u are having to do. I am really excited about it.

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #73
Falcon_CMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
Charles, thanks for posting this thread! Keep up the good work. I to have just recently acquired a 80 model cj7. I will have to do a lot of the same things u are having to do. I am really excited about it.
Awesome man lets help each other through this process it'll be a lot of fun always nice to have another in your same shoes !
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #74
frankush
2002 WJ 

Dude, you need to slow down and use the search function. Lots of good info on axle swaps there. I spent months, if not years deciding what I wanted. All of that time was used for research. You'll get a lot more coherent reponses if you do the research first (just like on your KBS coatings) and then ask specific questions. Nothing on a CJ needs a monster impact. Main bearing caps get torqued to 80 ft/#s if I remember correctly. Use the impact to take things apart. Buy and use a torque wrench. You'll need a few of them. I'd look at the crank as well as the cap to make sure it's not damaged. The neighbors are gonna love you once they get a look at all the Jeep stuff all Jeep builders acquire and that doesn't fit in the garage.
frankush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #75
Falcon_CMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankush View Post
Dude, you need to slow down and use the search function. Lots of good info on axle swaps there. I spent months, if not years deciding what I wanted. All of that time was used for research. You'll get a lot more coherent reponses if you do the research first (just like on your KBS coatings) and then ask specific questions. Nothing on a CJ needs a monster impact. Main bearing caps get torqued to 80 ft/#s if I remember correctly. Use the impact to take things apart. Buy and use a torque wrench. You'll need a few of them. I'd look at the crank as well as the cap to make sure it's not damaged. The neighbors are gonna love you once they get a look at all the Jeep stuff all Jeep builders acquire and that doesn't fit in the garage.
I have researched axle swaps for about 3-4+ months now, before I bought my Jeep I started looking. Its time to start to look into buying some replacements. I am taking my time but I am ready to find a good set of axles and I have decided on old Chevy 3/4 or 1 ton axles with the help of members out here. Now I just need to get a person to sell me some or go to our pick a part junkyard and find some which I am in the process of doing right now.

I also used the "Right Stuff" (Permatex) and this blue racing sealant (I forget the name) I researched which helped make everything go perfect (more research on sealants lots of research) for the oil pan and rear main bearing seal installation.

Trust me I am taking my time and doing my research on everything I do not need to slow down on the contrary I am taking a very long time to make decisions.

I own a torque wrench and I torqued my main bearings to 80ft/#s too. I did plenty of research on the replacement of the rear main beering seal and I did it perfect with 1 mistake. I had to loosen all of the bolts to get the seal out per my research and it worked great the seal came out easy. You didn't read correctly or I didn't state what happened clearly while loosening all the bolts I accidently tighted 1 instead of removing it with my Ingersol Rand which tighted it to like 1200 ft/#s on accident. Also it was at a little angle (The oil pickup was in the way some) and the Ingersol Rand could not get it loose so I had to get the bigger impact wrench which took it right off. I definitely was using the impaact wrenches for removal/loosening only. I used my torque wrench for tightened per my research.

I also did new oil pan seals and the leak from the rear main seal is now fixed no leak there at all. I have read other threads where people cannot get it back together without leaks and had to redo it. I got it right the first time I was proud of that and my wife was a great helper.

Thanks for the advice on the crank and cap.

Tags
cj7 , rebuild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.