My new CJ rebuild thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My new CJ rebuild thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #16
Falcon_CMH

I really don't care how big the tires are. My real concern is I want to be able to ride trails like the Rubicon and not get stuck or break stuff. I know lockers are needed. I want the lift as small as possible and the tires as small as possible. I also want to be able to use this as a driver.

I have read about converting the AMC 20 to single axles and it woud be as strong as the DANA 44?

I like others want to keep the cost down and do most all the work myself.

So what size tires do you reccommend?

Should I just do lockers, single axle, trusses and replace the old springs with new flat wrangler springs?

Oh and of course new shocks.

Unread 09-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
weehce
1983 CJ7 

Charlie, I thank you where referring to "Novak" in regard to T18 adaptors. Also check Advanced Adaptor they also sell adaptors. It maybe easier to replace the body tub than Bodo repair it. Bodo really doesn't like hard wheeling. Good luck on your project.
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
Falcon_CMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehce View Post
Charlie, I thank you where referring to "Novak" in regard to T18 adaptors. Also check Advanced Adaptor they also sell adaptors. It maybe easier to replace the body tub than Bodo repair it. Bodo really doesn't like hard wheeling. Good luck on your project.
Yeah I saw a really nice fiberglass tub with armor. If I do this I will replace the panels with fiberglass/armor panels too. Thanks, I have seen both the Novak and Advanced Auto adapters which ever is cheaper if one doesn't come with what I buy. I have my eyes on a T19/Dana 20/Bell housing for $125 that I would rebuild but the dang thing is so far away the pickup or shipping costs are preventing me from getting it.
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #19
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Welcome Charlie. This is a great forum and you certainly have done some homework. You sound just like me when I got started, and I would like to make a suggestion. Slow down! I started buying up stuff like crazy, without completely understanding everything I was doing, and I wasted a bit of money. The first thing I would do is enjoy your Jeep. Once you tear it down it will take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to put back together! Granted, I have never climbed rocks, so I can't speak from experience, but if it were me, I would build the AMC20 with one-piece axles, and truss it. Lockers for front and rear. Wide track axles (if you don't already have them) are not hard to find, and they are relatively cheap. Your suspension will have to be relative to your tires and intended use. You can probably run 33" tires with 4" of lift. It's a good and common combination. You're probably going to want some 4.11 gears (check a tire/gear ratio calculator, I'm pulling this stuff from my head!). The reason why I suggest this is to get the Jeep useable as quickly as possible. Try it out and see what you need to change before you sink a ton of money into narrowing axles, etc. Good luck.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #20
letchcore
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Welcome Charlie. This is a great forum and you certainly have done some homework. You sound just like me when I got started, and I would like to make a suggestion. Slow down! I started buying up stuff like crazy, without completely understanding everything I was doing, and I wasted a bit of money. The first thing I would do is enjoy your Jeep. Once you tear it down it will take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to put back together! Granted, I have never climbed rocks, so I can't speak from experience, but if it were me, I would build the AMC20 with one-piece axles, and truss it. Lockers for front and rear. Wide track axles (if you don't already have them) are not hard to find, and they are relatively cheap. Your suspension will have to be relative to your tires and intended use. You can probably run 33" tires with 4" of lift. It's a good and common combination. You're probably going to want some 4.11 gears (check a tire/gear ratio calculator, I'm pulling this stuff from my head!). The reason why I suggest this is to get the Jeep useable as quickly as possible. Try it out and see what you need to change before you sink a ton of money into narrowing axles, etc. Good luck.
I agree 100%. Just put some wide track CJ axles in it with lockers, one piece axles, upgrade ujoints, and 33" tires with a 4" SUA lift. That combo will get you into alot of difficult trails. You dont want to sink $10k into a Jeep that never gets finished and is worth $5k when you go to sell it. You would be really surprised how much you can do with 33's and lockers.
letchcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
Falcon_CMH

So I got a OEM fan shroud today (It arrived) from my research it seems that might help with my heat issue when idle for long periods of time. Thought I would try that before the aluminum raditor and electric fan. We will see.

Still up in the air on my axles and tub just so much information. I am leaning towards dual walled glass tub and still dana 44 axles (wide track) with ARB Lockers.

The SOA still seems nice with flat wrangler springs. I just don't want the lift so that is holding me back.

Well that is where my head is at for now.
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
Falcon_CMH

I did finish my research on my frame and I am going to sandblast it. Then go with the KBS stuff (The full prep and everytthing) on the outside: http://www.kbs-coatings.com/blacktop.html

And eastwood stuff on the inside: http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html

And I will use the KBS prep which includes RustSeal: http://www.kbs-coatings.com/rustseal.html for all my painting.
Unread 09-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #23
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Charlie, you don't even have a Jeep, till I/we see some pictures.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #24
Falcon_CMH

OK here is the start of the pics it was raining so I did this in my garage:
My new (well used) hard top with the full doors on a pallet inside the top and the fan shroud in a box on top
img_3306.gif
The back end bad pic sorry
img_3307.gif
Front/hood
img_3309.gif
Engine
img_3310.gif
New 94 amp I installed
img_3311.jpg
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #25
Falcon_CMH

My first accident (told the story in another thread on take my CJ card)
img_3312.gif
Shot of underneath, can see the oil pan my wife and daughter painted when I replaced the rear main bearing seal
img_3316.gif
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #26
Falcon_CMH

Gonna have red as the main color and black accent color with the underneath and engine being multi colored. No chrome.

Anybody got a build theme name and or Jeep name idea?
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #27
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

It's great having your wife and kids involved. Ask them for a theme name.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #28
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Great start for a project Charlie. From the sound of things you may need to update to a better rear axle at some point. Here's a crossroad I came to about that. Like you I wanted lockers front and rear. I also knew I needed to change gears. With that in mind I didn't want to sink that money in the 20. Lockers by themselves can be hard on rear ends. Put bigger tires in the mix and you have created allot of stress on things. My choice was Ford 9" on both ends. That's me. You mentioned Dana 44 axles, that would be a very good upgrade as well. My point is that there's better places to spend money than an AMC 20 axle.

Also keep in mind much of whay you'll hear is our opinions. And there aint no end to the change this/upgrade that once you start....I know all too well. But by all means we'll try to do our best to make sure you spend too much money.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #29
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Pictures,

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #30
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
But by all means we'll try to do our best to make sure you spend too much money.
Ha, he owns a Jeep. He won't need our help spending too much money.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , rebuild

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.