my new 1981 Miller Thunderbolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > my new 1981 Miller Thunderbolt

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
choppachris
2013 JK Wrangler 

my new 1981 Miller Thunderbolt

I was looking on CL and found this neat little Miller "Thunderbolt" AC stick welder. It was priced cheap and only 20 minutes away so I picked it up this morning...came with 20 something foot leads. Old man was the only owner, bought it brand new in 1981 here in Harlingen, TX where I live. He even gave me the original owners manual for it in great shape! The little knob on the crank is broken off...(on top of welding machine to adjust amperage) but it still works fine. Stoked!!!

choppachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
CJhollic
1980 CJ7 

Nice find..... enjoy..
ViAir Onboard Air
TeamRush ignition upgrade with MSD 6a CDI
Dual Batteries
KC Daylighters
Cold Air Intake
Lock-Right Lockers
Yukon 1 piece axles
Custom Bumper& Swing Out Tire Carrier
Mile Marker Hubs
Chevy Blower Upgrade
1500 lb airbag suspension
Floor mounted gun rack (2 guns)
CJhollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

I have one of those I bought new in 1974 from Grangers for $98 and got a free helmet with it, including the wheel kit. Just a few years ago I found out it was made by Miller.
Great little machine, ran alot of rod with it over the years, though not much for the last 5 to 7 years. Good find, you can still get most parts for it to this day.
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppachris View Post
I was looking on CL and found this neat little Miller "Thunderbolt" AC stick welder. It was priced cheap and only 20 minutes away so I picked it up this morning...came with 20 something foot leads. Old man was the only owner, bought it brand new in 1981 here in Harlingen, TX where I live. He even gave me the original owners manual for it in great shape! The little knob on the crank is broken off...(on top of welding machine to adjust amperage) but it still works fine. Stoked!!!

Is it 220 or 440 volt?
Some of them were 440 volt, but if an old guy had it, it's probably 220...
The goverment (armed forces) dumped a BUNCH of 440 machines on the surplus market in the late 70's/early 80's, and I was unlucky enough to get one...

All the early Miller Thunderbolts had full copper windings inside,
The duty cycle (how long you can weld before they heat up internally) will be VERY good,
AND,
It will be a VERY clean weld, no dropout, sputter as voltage/amperage drops when you strike the arc, ect.
I used one for many years, and I can tell you, it will make some SMOOTH WELDS!

No damn aluminum wound transformers! They REALLY make me want to bite nails!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

yep, Jeephammer is right on (as usual), the copper winding makes a big difference, I bought an old welder that is a Powercraft (Montgomery Ward version of Craftsman) at a garage sale for cheep, best money I ever spent and it welds like a champ. Congrads on your find.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.