My neglected cj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My neglected cj

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
hangfly

My neglected cj

First of all just wanted to say thanks for all the forum members here. OK here is my story.
I am 35 now and in the Marine Corps stationed in Jacksonville NC. When I was 15 I saved up money and my dad help me buy a burned up 1981 CJ7. I loved that thing. Now granted over the next four years it seemed like a money trap. Almost everything that could go wrong did. Just some examples which do not include all the ancillary work and problems.
1. U joints (Countless)
2. Driveshafts (Front n Rear)
3. Radiator (in replacing it broke the transmission lines- so learned that)
4. Engine (replaced 258 with 304 going against my dads views)
5. Brakes (rotors etc)
6. Flywheels
7. Rear main seals
8. Fuel pumps, water pump etc.

Even though all these items were frustrating, the time spent with my dad working on it was priceless and I learned A LOT about how a vehicle works etc.

So when I joined the Marine Corps I got stationed in Jacksonville NC about 4 hours from home. My jeep was not reliable enough to drive back and forth, so my dad gave me his 1990 wrangler and I parked the CJ with plans on one day rebuilding it.

With all the deployments to combat zones, numerous duty stations, having kids, etc the jeep kind of got forgotten about.

Last year why I was in Afghanistan my father passed away. Now I am starting to get nostalgic and realized that hey now is a good time as ever to do it.

So two weeks ago I rented a Penske truck with car hauler and went home to get it. Needless to say the keys where gone, so had to replace the ignition switch before we could even load it up. The front wheels were stolen off of it including numerous small things (ignition control module- wow?) The window had a couple of bullet holes in it probably from teenagers playing in the field it was parked. Needless to say during the labor day holiday you can not get wheels and tires from a junkyard etc, but I was able to use one from my brothers and the dry rotted spare on it. A tractor, couple of comealongs later we were able to get it loaded on the trailer.

So now I got it home, I pulled out the carpet, seats, and went to town with a power washer and high power. Figured any paint that comes off is less I have to sand later. Then I was thinking, maybe I can get the engine running which would let me concentrate on other stuff first. I plan on buying a new engine eventually anyways. Well pouring gas in, about a minute later it started leaking from the gas tank. SO hey guess my first project is figured out for me.
I ordered a new gas tank, fuel sender etc, and waiting for it to come in I took everything out. The skid plate was covered in rust, so hey perfect opportunity to buy a sandblaster and get use to it. So a few days later playing with it I got it beautiful. So finally installed my pretty new gas tank with the cleaned and painted skid plate. Well off to try this again.
So after putting gas in it- NOTHING, but it would turn over with starting fluid in the carb. I replaced the fuel filter already, so I pulled a line off and guess what no gas!! Now I know what you are thinking- he hooked up the lines wrong. Well granted I was second guessing myself, but I had been reading on the forums about that, and I was pretty careful hooking them up because removing that gas tank by yourself isn't a easy task.
Took the input line from the fuel pump and dropped it in a gas can, still not gas. HMMM so here we go- ordered a fuel pump and got it in this morning. Just replaced it, and now finally getting gas up to the carb. Now taking a break and figured I would go ahead and post my story why I am taking my break.

Now for a question. I plan on getting a long block 304 or 360 within the next year. Knowing the carb on it is in rough shape I might get a new one. So here is my question. I still haven't decided if I want to go up to the 360 (right now leaning that way though). If I bought a intake for my 304 and a carb- the carb wouldn't be the right one for a 360 when and if I get it will it?

100_7759.jpg   100_7785.jpg  
hangfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangfly View Post
So now I got it home, ...
Nothing like the dedication and determination of a Marine. Well, perhaps a dedicated determined Marine who owns a CJ. Thank you for your service.
I got nothing on a 340/360 as far as advice. The 4.2 has brought many a smile to my face.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
jdtopgun71

Thanks for your service! That looks like it will be a fun project. I am newbie to this so I have no clue how to answer your questions but your story compelled me to chime in.

Take care and take pictures along the way so we can see your progress.
jdtopgun71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
hangfly

Thanks for the support. Got the fuel pump in and finally got it pumping fuel from the gas tank. Actually had it running for about 5 minutes. Now it will not even fire once. Pulled a spark plug out, grounded it and turned the key checking for sparks- NOTHING. So I am guessing the old coil gave out after running for a few minutes after 10 years. Been reading the forum and think I am going to go ahead and invest the money in jeep hammers MSD CDI ignition upgrade with cap etc. Enclosing a few more pics from what I have done. Guess this will short of become my build thread.
Still hoping someone can chime in on the 360/304 question.
100_7782.jpg   100_7790.jpg   100_7793.jpg   100_7794.jpg  
hangfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

The mounting surfaces on the intakes will be of the same shape and dimensions (you could do a quick google search and see pictures of intakes for a 304/360 etc... and see). The one thing that I would be worried about would be the CFM rating. A carb you would put on a 304 could use a CFM of much lower capacity then what you would use on a 360. Of course that all depends on how you plan on using the engine i.e. Performance built or just built to run the jeep like normal everyday.

I guess in short what I mean is: YES, you can PHYSICALLY bolt the new carb to the new engine, it just depends on if it will be rated appropriately and you're going to want to re-jet it anyhow.
Tyger78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Semper Fi, Marine. Did my 'cold war' time with the 1st fuzzies at CamPen.
With regard to any fuel issues you may well have built up varnish not only in the jets of the carb, but also gumming up the fuel lines. Also AMC was not unlike Lucas electrics (which is why the brits drink warm beer) in having less than perfect primary electrical systems, and I've seen more than a few electrical upgrade threads. I have yet to do this myself my idiom seems to be over the years; if'n it ain't broke......
with a CJ, just wait a spell. On the other hand, if you have time this is a golden opportunity to proceed with a frame up restoration. These days I sure as helle don't have but one day a week off. On my old '77 CJ I had years ago at CamPen the on base auto shop helped me a lot, I don't know if these are still available or if it was just a 1st MarDiv courtesy. Sure was great though!
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
wm69

That carb on the 304, if stock, is a MC2100. VERY EASY to rebuild, and really a great carb. I would just rebuild it now, and drive it. If you want to put something schmancy on there later you can, although I imagine you'll need to change jets for the 360, or even go to a higher venturi size. Google MC2100 and you'll get all kinds of info on them. Common carbs, easy to rebuild, tune, and they just last. I put one on my green Jeep in 2002 and it fires up on the first turn, and I haven't had to touch it.

Thank you for your service!

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.