My name is Mud - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My name is Mud

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 10-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Be careful of running in 4wd on dry pavement you can pop the front axle if you get a little squirrely with the clutch.

texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo6CJ View Post
Thanks for the flame free answer. I acknowledge I am a novice and my mistake left me with egg(or mud) only face

I did the same thing with my first 4WD.
Except I was on a small beach on our local tidal river - and the tide was coming in....

Thankfully I found the sticker on the visor that told me how to operate the 4WD system....
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Your wife is right. If you were going fast enough you probably could have made it, even in 2wd. Of course "fast enough" might have been 80mph.

Just keep in mind even 4wd often won't get you through deep mud that touches the undercarriage or axle tubes. The tires can't overcome the drag and you end up digging yourself in deeper. This is one major cause of Jeep disease, where people start dumping thousands into lifting and locking their rigs to make them 'mo better offroad.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
MojoMark
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post

I did the same thing with my first 4WD.
Except I was on a small beach on our local tidal river - and the tide was coming in....

Thankfully I found the sticker on the visor that told me how to operate the 4WD system....
Here's to the Newb's !

I did my first trail ride entirely in (what turned out to be ) 2wd Low. Never got stuck, but when somebody told me, I felt a little silly.
D30 Front (Aussie Locker), AMC 20
MojoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo6CJ View Post
Thanks for the flame free answer. I acknowledge I am a novice and my mistake left me with egg(or mud) only face
Glad to see you can take a little ribbing, have a laugh at yourself, and learn something in the process.

Now load up the wife, lock in those hubs, and hit that mud hole again. Tell her to lean out and look to see if the front wheels are spinning when you do it.
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #21
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMark View Post
Here's to the Newb's !

I did my first trail ride entirely in (what turned out to be ) 2wd Low. Never got stuck, but when somebody told me, I felt a little silly.
Does your D300 have twin sticks?
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #22
MojoMark
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Does your D300 have twin sticks?
No, just had the D300 in 4LO and the front hubs not engaged.
D30 Front (Aussie Locker), AMC 20
MojoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
olddieselcj7
1984 CJ7 

To answer your question earlier, about whether to keep it in 4 wheel drive, reminded me of what an old timer told me once..."you go as far as you can in 2 wheel drive, then put it in 4 wheel drive and get the hell out of there".
olddieselcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #24
olddieselcj7
1984 CJ7 

By the way, your personal experience you have described has, I'm sure not only me chuckling. That is funny. Sorry for laughing, but I'm laughing with you.
These experiences are the best teacher though.
olddieselcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #25
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

The locking hubs are important. The locking hubs are the mechanisms that attach ("lock") the front axle shafts to the hubs (the part that the wheels bolt onto). Normally you don't engage ("lock") these for regular driving, but to operate the vehicle in 4 wheel drive you need to engage (lock) them.

Even if you have the transfer case in 4-low or 4-high, you won't get any power to the front wheels unless the locking hubs are indeed locked correctly.

Here's another, semi-related thing to keep in mind because this happened to me: If you ever have the problem where *none* of the wheels will turn (ie: the engine just revs, no matter what gear you're in or what you do with the clutch, but the Jeep doesn't move), then check the transfer case to see if it has slipped into neutral. Carefully shift it back into 4-high (or whatever gear you wanted) if it has gone into neutral. One time the kids were playing in my Jeep and hit the transfer case shift lever and put it into Neutral.
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #26
TheLaw360
1982 CJ7 

offended

I am 98% sure that Matt just flamed me and I'm not even in this discussion!

If it had been dark I would have realized what that button on the ground did... was just hard to tell... that's all
TheLaw360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #27
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddieselcj7 View Post
To answer your question earlier, about whether to keep it in 4 wheel drive, reminded me of what an old timer told me once..."you go as far as you can in 2 wheel drive, then put it in 4 wheel drive and get the hell out of there".
This!

The only difference between 2WD & $WD is how far you can go before you get stuck!

EDIT:
I just jumped in to change that dollar sign to a four and then it hit me that I probably was right the first time!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #28
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Law,

No, I wasn't flaming you specifically, just a general category of whipper-snappers who don't have a clue about these rigs. Heck, I have a 20-ish year-old friend who asked me, "what's the third pedal for?" Apparently, he'd never seen a vehicle with a clutch.

I took my drivers license test, 37 years ago, in a 1972 CJ5, and have been driving a CJ ever since. I have to remind myself what's second nature for me may be totally foreign to you youngsters.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
TheLaw360
1982 CJ7 

foreign

it is all new to me...

you guys can't even explain things to me without half the terminology going over my head.
TheLaw360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #30
Echo6CJ
1983 CJ7 

I think we need all the old timers to post some top lessons learned in here for us youngins. Not gonna lie, I had no clue about the high beams. No shame in my ignorance. I am willing to learn, sometimes the hard way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.