My name is Mud - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My name is Mud

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Echo6CJ
1983 CJ7 

My name is Mud

Whelp chalk one up for the new guy. So I am green to the whole mudding/wheeling thing. I have had my CJ for a year or so and all it has seen as of yesterday was school zones and traffic. So I slapped some mud tires on it and decided to get the old lady dirty.

It wasn't until I was knee deep in mud with my wife rolling her eyes beside me that I realized I needed to learn a thing or two about a thing or two.

So here was the setup and I will see if you can figure out what I had to learn later. I have an 83 CJ, inline 6, no lift, manual locking hubs, 31 inch mud terrains. I was out in the ranch a dried up muddy pond in front of me. I slapped that beast in 4H and went on my way. 3/4 of the way across and I was stuck. I lean my head out, back wheels are spinning, front wheels aren't doing a dang thing. My wife gazes out her side and mutters "I don't think you were going fast enough", meanwhile I start to think my Jeep is broken. I mean I thought this was a lightweight 4 wheel drive conquerer of the mud domain. Why wasn't my 4 wheel drive working?

Unread 10-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

What transmission and, more importantly, transfer case are you running?
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

Front lockouts (hubs) weren't engaged?
258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
CrustySprings is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Did you unlock the hubs instead not knowing what you were doing?

Maybe the transfer case didn't lock all the way in and when you hit the mud it popped back into 2WD?

Sounds like the wife was a good sport though.
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Did you have the hubs locked? You stated you "just slapped that beast in 4H". If you didn't get out and lock in the hubs, you were still just using the rear, and only one of those unless you have a locked rear end.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapman View Post
Did you have the hubs locked? You stated you "just slapped that beast in 4H". If you didn't get out and lock in the hubs, you were still just using the rear, and only one of those unless you have a locked rear end.
Kids these days.....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
Sounds like the wife was a good sport though.
Question is:
Did she get out an push?
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Echo6CJ
1983 CJ7 

I didn't have the hubs locked.

Out of curiosity, after a little research, I read some stuff online but nobody was very clear or agreed on when you should lock your hubs. Do you always have them locked, only when you are mudding? What's the benefit of leaving them locked or driving in 2wd without them locked.

And to clarify for future purposes... Turn it clockwise to lock CCW to unlock? Is there a way to know they are engaged?
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Echo6CJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Kids these days..... Matt
What can I say... I blame the education system in America.
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you need 4 wheel drive, lock the hubs, then shift the transfer case in either 4H or 4L. You know the hubs are engaged when the front wheels turn.

When you're done wheeling, unlock the hubs, and shift the t-case back into 2H.

Oh, and your headlight high-beam switch is a button on the floor that you press with your foot.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Clockwise to lock. And you only need to lock your hubs in when you want to use your 4wd. In the woods normally 4lo is the option you want. Mud as well and just grab a higher gear but 4 hi will suffice. Just lacking low end torque and can burn up your clutch depending on what you're doing.

When you unlock the hubs going down the road in 2wd the front axle shafts arent spinning so in turn neither is the ring and pinion or your driveshaft etc. Helps a little with millage (yeah right its a CJ) and just helps keep wear and tear off the front componenets.

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo6CJ View Post
I didn't have the hubs locked.

Out of curiosity, after a little research, I read some stuff online but nobody was very clear or agreed on when you should lock your hubs. Do you always have them locked, only when you are mudding? What's the benefit of leaving them locked or driving in 2wd without them locked.

And to clarify for future purposes... Turn it clockwise to lock CCW to unlock? Is there a way to know they are engaged?
I would say that if you intend to operate in 4wd you would need the hubs locked to achieve the desired effect.

EDIT:

JIC any of the "flame free" references alluded to this post let me be clear - I was simply stating that regardless of when you "should" shift into 4wd - the hubs will need to locked or your not going to engage your front axle. You just can't slap into 4H and take off.

To the OP - no flame intended.
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Ok here's the flame free answer. The stick in th floor engages the transfer case. The hubs engage the axle. If you only do one or the other you're not in 4wd. You don't generally want to have the hubs locked in on the black top (unless its snowing) it will cause binding. You want to lock your hubs in when off road before you get in trouble, not after.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
Echo6CJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliewood61
Ok here's the flame free answer. The stick in th floor engages the transfer case. The hubs engage the axle. If you only do one or the other you're not in 4wd. You don't generally want to have the hubs locked in on the black top (unless its snowing) it will cause binding. You want to lock your hubs in when off road before you get in trouble, not after.
Thanks for the flame free answer. I acknowledge I am a novice and my mistake left me with egg(or mud) only face
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post

Oh, and your headlight high-beam switch is a button on the floor that you press with your foot.

Matt
So THAT'S what that does!
AcidLamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.