My Jeep Resurrection Saga (finally) Continues..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My Jeep Resurrection Saga (finally) Continues.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

My Jeep Resurrection Saga (finally) Continues.....

So, after a bit over a year of very slow business coupled with a few health problems and surgeries, I'm back trying to do a little work on my Jeep resurrection.

Some might remember when I started back in 2007, I was trying to make Camp Jeep that year.

Yeah, that obviously didn't happen. The MAW's (Might As Well's) and WIT's (While I'm There's) killed me.

Well, that, and I got a boat that same year and pretty much went out every weekend.

Anyway, the boat is history, (as is most of my money) and I'm trying to do what I can with the Jeep....had shoulder surgery just before the first of the year and I still can't do much with it, but oh well....I am, anway.

So, my current task is fixing up this rear end. I have an 86 Dana 44, that had a disc conversion done when I got it. Trouble is, whoever did it might be the worst welder there is....but it did get run and they didn't break....Lord knows how, looking at the welds.
I've taken a few pics of the before, and how they looked after I ground the welds on the right side down:

Check this quality work out:

Are these not some sweet welds?

I'll continue this in the next post

Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

So out came the grinder:

You get the idea. I am a bit concerned about the apparent opening UNDER the bracket....will this give me a problem, or should I just weld the hell out of it correctly and it'll penetrate? Love to hear Besrk's opinion on this.
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Honestly, I'd grind until I could remove the brackets without bending them. Clean off all of that mess and weld them back on correctly. You got quite a bit of the old stuff off but there's still enough that I would be worried about new weld not getting good penetration.. basically just laying on that old stuff.

If this were something like a shock bracket, I might be tempted to risk it.. but with brakes.. better safe than sorry.

As for realigning the brackets.. should be able to install the calipers/pads and slide them in place on the disk to locate the bracket when you reinstall it.

I'll bet you could probably beat those brackets off with a hammer if you weren't trying to reuse them. That's how bad those old welds look..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Thanks a lot....I was afraid that's what you were going to say.

I wonder if I'd be better off just getting some new brackets....don't know how badly I'll mangle these getting them off.
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would just keep grinding off the boogers until they're gone and then weld them properly.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Get some new brackets and do a nice job, whoever tried to put those on had no clue. lol
Unread 05-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I really think it's all on how you look at it. The PO managed to weld on a bracket with little to no metal actually being connected... that has to be worth something.
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivergreenCJ7 View Post
I really think it's all on how you look at it. The PO managed to weld on a bracket with little to no metal actually being connected... that has to be worth something.
True....funny/scary thing is, he evidently ran it for awhile with no problems.

Also, before I starting grinding those magnificent welds off, I beat the hell out of the bracket with a good-sized hammer, and they didn't budge. Go figure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.