Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My JEEP build thread

168K views 288 replies 83 participants last post by  jayhawkclint 
#1 · (Edited)
#10 ·
NaeKid said:
Great start to a rebuild. How long have you been working on it so far? Any help from friends, or are you working on it alone?
Been working on it since the 2nd week of November. Been going it alone so far, although the tub is loose now and I'm getting 3 or 4 buddies to come over for beer and lift it onto a big homemade cart that I built to wheel it around for blasting/painting/etc.

#13 ·
That's good work .. nice to see the old-iron being refreshed again.

Are you planning to wheel it hard when you are done, or will it be a light trail-runner?

#15 ·
Very nice, love the fact you are keeping the tub, going same color or something different? When you plan to get it back on the road?:thumbsup:

#16 ·
this shot really shows how the short the wheel base is scaled to the steering wheel

#17 ·
Thanks for the encouragement! I really like the embossed "JEEP" on the side of the '55-'71, so an aftermarket tub really wasn't an option. It is going to be painted an orange/copperish metallic very similar to the late model Pontiac GTO color and/or '06 Dodge Charger "Go ManGo!" color. I plan on wheeling this thing again the last weekend of March. It will definitely see trail usage, but it probably won't be playing in the rock garden too much.

#20 ·
God i love these kind of threads. I wish I had the time, money and skill to take on a project like this.

#23 · (Edited)
spyder6 said:
i imagine you used a sand or bead blaster for the frame, but what product did you use and did you bother to collect the sand/beads and if so how did you?
I used a combination of graded, medium and fine grit abrasive sand, although it is all mixed together now. I did it in my driveway, and when I was done I screened the sand into a barrel to get the debris out and re-use on the next project.

#26 ·
I don't even remember the JEEP in this pic anymore. I really miss driving it :( :

05NOV2006:

13FEB2007

Been working on some grilles. Tried to make two into one. I highly advise against it unless you are some sick type individual that enjoys self inflicting needless injury on yourself.

Original '70 radiator box separated from grille:

'69 model donor (almost) separated from radiator box:

Brown Santa brought brand spanking new fenders to the house yesterday. I'm trying to get into primer this weekend or maybe Monday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.