My float is stuck!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My float is stuck!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
somike
1985 CJ7 

My float is stuck!!

After installing and testing (outside tank) my Equus fuel gauge and NEW sender, I reinstalled the tank and filled it with gas. The gauge now shows only 3/8 full with a full tank of fuel. The float inside of the tank must be stuck, since it worked OK outside the tank. Will some rough driving possibly work to get the float working again without dropping the tank again? I know just the trails that would make the fuel splash around in the tank quite a bit.

somike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
somike
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mouse
some claim if you tap the gas tank with a hammer, it will loosen the sender, but then again, in the FSJ manual it says to check the tank for deformation. I measured my stock 15 gallon tank and had a reading of 10 inches from the lip. I was told a 6-12 inch adjustable GM sending unit would work. Another thing I would question is this, is the sending unit matched in ohms to the fuel gage. There are some gauge specific out in the aftermarket , match the gauge up to the sender either 240-33 to 240-33 or 0-90 0-90. Im thinking maybe the sending unit isnt matched to the gauge, or you need to adjust the sending unit again by a hair. I am planning on doing this as well, hope it works out great for you.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SW...61-F/?rtype=10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SWW-385CF/
Sender & gauge was tested before install and it worked OK. It just is sticking INSIDE the tank.
somike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

My guess is the aftermarket float has a hole, or is just cheaply made . My new float/ sending unit lasted 2 weeks.

Bll
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

I have had this issue before. You should just drop the tank. Make sure the float is in the right position. I had mine turned the wrong way so it was getting pinned because when it tried to rise up it was hitting the side of the tank. If the pickup and return line tubes are pointing to the drivers side it will hit the side and be inaccurate.
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
My guess is the aftermarket float has a hole, or is just cheaply made . My new float/ sending unit lasted 2 weeks.

Bll
Same here. My plastic float lasted about 2 weeks. As it slowly filled with gas it registered less and less. I had to buy a brass float.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Cjponyparts.com has the floats for $6.16 shipped right now.

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.